LW Honour Salver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Honour Salver

This is an item I picked up some time ago from an old German Collection. It was awarded to Alois Huedopisk on 21.12.42. Huedopisk was born in Graz/ Austria and was Unteroffizier Geschuetzfuehrer 2nd Battery, Flak Regtiment 38.

This item is also shown on p2470 in Joerg Nimmergut's book "Deutscher Orden und Ehrenzeichen" vol. IV.

Stan
    Attached Files

LW Honour Salver

Maker's mark.

Stan
    Attached Files

Comment

Salver

Stan,

beautiful example!

I saw one for sale at regimentals, since the award is so rare I always wondered why they didn't priced it according to its rarity.

If I may ask, do you have the award document also?

Jeroen

Comment

I can not comment on this one as I do not know enough about them, but what concerned me 5 or 6 years ago was the amount of these Salvers on the market!!!

Suddenly the popped up, I know someone who has 6 but I was not so convinced by them.

I hope your's is one of the good ones Stan.

I do not know currently of a list of holders for this award!

Regards,
        Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Salver

Hi Ian,

yes that was what I also thought. There were only 50 awarded (source - Detlev price guide) and I saw a lot on the market the last couple of years also.

Jeroen

Comment

LW Honour Salver

I do not know currently of a list of holders for this award!

Regards,
            Ian[/QUOTE]

Ian,

Actually a list does exist in a German reference book. I received a small amount of research material with the Salver which included two photocopies of pages from the book which refer to Huedopisk.

Stan
            Attached Files

Comment

LW Honour Salver

Second page.

Stan
              Attached Files

Comment

book

Hi Stan,

that's interesting, in which reference book was this published?

Your Salver looks very very nice!

Jeroen

Comment

Originally posted by JRA View Post
                  Hi Stan,

that's interesting, in which reference book was this published?

Your Salver looks very very nice!

Jeroen

Jeroen,

Sadly, I have no idea which reference book contained this info.

Stan

Comment

Stan,

It is unfortunate that such a rare piece is so misunderstood. I believe the lack of excitement is that most collectors will never see a Luftwaffe Salvor of Honor. I had posted one to a Fallschirmjaeger on the FJ forum and finally pulled the photos for lack of interest.

Finally, is yours weakly attractive to a very strong magnet?

Bob Hritz
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                      Stan,

It is unfortunate that such a rare piece is so misunderstood. I believe the lack of excitement is that most collectors will never see a Luftwaffe Salvor of Honor. I had posted one to a Fallschirmjaeger on the FJ forum and finally pulled the photos for lack of interest.

Finally, is yours weakly attractive to a very strong magnet?

Bob Hritz
                      Bob, I think the Salvor is an exciting piece, and very rare. I'm more concerned about the amount of fakes on the market. I have no clue how many there are and how good they have become.

The award document is the most rare, up to now I have seen it only twice. One of them is in a group for sale at Kai Winkler and it has been there for a long time now. Consedering the fact that there are not more than 50 of these documents, its amazing to see it in a group.

Jeroen

Comment

Hi Stan,

(Editing my original message.)

I may see some differences between the makermark on yours and a known good one in my archives. On yours, the Wagner name seems cut very deeply, with the letters in Wagner 'fatter'. The edges of the letters seem to 'stick out', compared with the surface of the plate. On mine, the edges of the Wagner name seem smoother and more flush with the plate. HOWEVER, this may all merely be due to lighting and lens angles. This is pretty detailed stuff and these may be acceptable variations. Your Salver may well be 100%.

As I recall, there was a way to identify originals, based on stamping vs. engraving, particularly in the name on the plate. It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that the makermark was stamped, and the name and rank individually engraved.

Any chance you can provide a close-up of the name and rank?

Regards,
                        Mark

Last edited by mmiller; 08-12-2007, 07:02 AM.
                        "You can check out any time you like ..... But you can never leave....."

Comment

I have little expertise on salvers, but I really have to question the validity of a statement that only 50 were awarded. This was the non flight troops award from Goering. The thousands of awards of the goblet would lead me to believe there are far more than 50 salevers awarded.

That being said, I have photos of 2 hqallmarks from salvers dated over a year apart.

This photo is from the salver named to Hauptmann Hugo Paul dated 1-3-43 (1 March 1943).

Bob Hritz
                          Attached Files

Comment

This hallmark is from the salver of Oblt Hans George Lehmann dated 12-10-44 (12 October 1944)

This salever was acid tested for silver, not by me, and the finish is damaged, as can be seen around the hallmark.

BobHritz
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                              I have little expertise on salvers, but I really have to question the validity of a statement that only 50 were awarded. This was the non flight troops award from Goering. The thousands of awards of the goblet would lead me to believe there are far more than 50 salevers awarded.

Bob Hritz
                              Bob,

I used Detlev's priceguide (2004) as a source. He mentiones 50 recorded awards. That reflects the price, 10.000 euro for the salver and 5000 euro for the award document.

Jeroen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X