Assmann para badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assmann para badge

The Assmann para badge has been on my wanted list for a while until this one flew into my lap.

Possibly early to mid war production due to the Assmann makers mark ?

Troy
    Attached Files

It looks like type D 1939-1942 period. Better photos of the hinge and catch are needed - it is possible that the pin is being replaced.

Comment

Thank you for your comments.Here's a few more pics.

Troy
      Attached Files

Comment

I really enjoy early to mid-war Assman FJ badges like this one!
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

The design of the eagle has always appealed to me.

Comment

I also like the Assman eagle’s head and eye design. Here are three early / mid-war Assman FJ badges in my collection. The one on the left is marked with the FJ’s rank and last name and the other two are marked with the FJ’s initials. The middle one was GI vet obtained. The GI was a member of the first battalion, 60 Infantry Regiment of the US 9th Infantry Division and he reportedly picked up the badge from a dead FJ in Normandy in 1944. The GI was severely wounded in August 1944 and shipped back to the US.

I think yours may have also been initialed by the FJ but then later scratched off.

image_4719695.jpg
            A6156FDE-B1D6-49BF-9361-5DAE9002D595.jpeg
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Hi Troy,

Nice original worn Assmann, I would date this to between 1939 and 1942. Nicely worn example with great patina and look to it.

Hinge looks like it might be replaced, or atleast repaired, hard to be sure from these pics. But judging by the cut in the wreath above the hinge, it doesn't seem to line up with the outer barrel of the hinge which it typically should.

Tom
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

Hi Troy,

in my opinion the set-up is replaced.I don't feel the hinge and catch are original to that badge.
                All around the hinge you can see a poreus structure, that's a strong indication for a repair.
                I would love to see a sharper image of the catch.
                Although Assmann has a wide variety of set-ups un their badges, i'm not familiar with the set-up on the example that started this thread.
                That said it's still a nice badge that surely saw some action and has an overall good look.

Jelle

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
                  I also like the Assman eagle’s head and eye design. Here are three early / mid-war Assman FJ badges in my collection. The one on the left is marked with the FJ’s rank and last name and the other two are marked with the FJ’s initials. The middle one was GI vet obtained. The GI was a member of the first battalion, 60 Infantry Regiment of the US 9th Infantry Division and he reportedly picked up the badge from a dead FJ in Normandy in 1944. The GI was severely wounded in August 1944 and shipped back to the US.

I think yours may have also been initialed by the FJ but then later scratched off.

image_4719695.jpg
                  A6156FDE-B1D6-49BF-9361-5DAE9002D595.jpeg

Very nice trio of Assmann badges there Walter .Always good to find them marked with owners details making then quite unique.

Troy

Comment

Thanks for the comments Tom & Jelle .I suppose its difficult to determine when the repair was done if the hinge has been replaced?
                    I will see if I can get some better photos.

Comment

Can only agree early Assman Para badges are my Favourite , still looking to add one at some point nice badge congrats Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                        Hi Troy,

Nice original worn Assmann, I would date this to between 1939 and 1942. Nicely worn example with great patina and look to it.

Hinge looks like it might be replaced, or atleast repaired, hard to be sure from these pics. But judging by the cut in the wreath above the hinge, it doesn't seem to line up with the outer barrel of the hinge which it typically should.

Tom
                        I'm unsure if these photos will help.

Tom do you mean the cut on the upper part of the wreath should line-up with the centre of the outer barrel ?

I have cleaned around the hinge and removed some dirt to try and identify if in fact the hinge has been replaced.I'm still not convinced it has unless of course I'm missing something obvious?

Attached Files

Comment

With the additional photos does it look like the hardware has been replaced ?

Troy

Comment

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the additional pics. Not the best pics, but one is really clear and looks good. Don't see any signs of repair, so I think you are good to go here.

Tom
                            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

Thats good news Tom,didn't want the hassle of posting it back to the sender unless I had to.
                              In the meantime perhaps need to invest in a better camera.

Troy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X