Another U-Boot Clasp for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another U-Boot Clasp for Review

It seems to be a lot of U-Boot Clasps for review recently. So, here is my Item.
    This is the first type of the clasp, I think in Bronze. There are some traces on the back side. Definitely, needle does not fit this type.
    My question: is this the original clap with modified needle or is the whole piece a post-war reproduction?
    Thank you in advance for your comments.
    Attached Files

IMO this is an original bronze first pattern clasp that has a replaced catch and pin.

This happens, somebody removes the hardware to put in a display most probably, it sells for far less than a complete piece and eventually somebody with some skills replaces the missing hardware.

I still like it in a collection discounted for the repairs.

John

Comment

Original here:
      Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure if it is just the pin that has been replaced. Maybe.

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments and the additional photo.
          I think, you may be right, catch seems to be original. I wanted to add two photos to tis message, but somehow I was not able place the attachments. Hopefully, I will be more successful tomorrow.
          Just to give more info about this clasp: hinge is non-magnetic, pin and catch are made of steel.
          It looks like one of the previous owners was lucky to have a spare pin and was capable to repair the item.

Comment

Here are the photos of the catch.
            Attached Files

Comment

The photos are too small, but I agree that so far it looks like an original 1st pattern clasp with a replaced main pin and original catch.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Thank you very much for your opinion, Norm. I am glad to know that the main body of he badge is original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X