Classification of Coastal Artillery Badges based on obverse design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Norm,
    Great observation about tombak Junckers being die cast and not die struck. This explain lack of details and obverse flaws on many examples
    As far as Juncker CABs are concerned I have two examples with different flat wire catches, one standard C-shaped (#2.1.2) and the other with flat foot which is missing in the classification.
    Cheers,
    Hubert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 10-26-2020, 08:46 PM. Reason: rotated the upside-down images

Comment

Norm, regarding Deumer 4.2.1 I really doubt it is made of tombak. IMO this is a zincer but copper plated. My Schwerin 1.1.7 zincer also features copper underlayer which makes it look like tombak badge.
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Attached Files

Comment

Norm, I know that your classification intentionally overlooks different finish patterns but I think it is worth mentioning that on CABs some makers used copper undercoat to give premium finish to some of their products.
        Here are my S&L zincers 2.2.3 and 2.2.6 thet feature such premium finish with copper undercoat and also two 2.2.6 crimped variants showing standard and premium finish.
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
          Norm, regarding Deumer 4.2.1 I really doubt it is made of tombak. IMO this is a zincer but copper plated. My Schwerin 1.1.7 zincer also features copper underlayer which makes it look like tombak badge.
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Hi Hubert,

Yes indeed, could very well be. I just can't tell for sure because the finish is more perfect than any zincer I've ever seen, including your zinc Schwerin, with no blemishes and no bubbling.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Just for fun, here's a comparison of the S&L and Deumer wartime compatible versions next to their respective '57 versions. In both cases, you can see that S&L and Deumer each made their '57 version from a modified master of their wartime design. In S&L's case, both are the Type 2 obverse while in Deumer's case both are the Type 4 obverse.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

I thought I'd add a comment on the "French-made" Coastal Artillery badge. The zinc cast French-made badges, aka "Bacqueville", aka "Mourgeon", are thought by most (although not all) collectors to be post-war production and are omitted from the wartime badge classification systems.

The statement from the Präsidialkanzlei in Schwert und Spaten effectively forbidding the dealing in German medals and decorations in foreign and occupied countries was published in May, 1942. Although the Coastal Artillery badge was announced in 1941, an actual example of the badge wasn't published until June, 1942 in Uniformen-Markt. And yet we see a French-made Coastal Artillery badge. That suggests the the French-made Coastal Artillery badge (if wartime at all) was likely produced after being expressly forbidden in the PK's decree. For it to have been produced before the decree that effectively would kill the market, it would have to have been based on an early drawing of the design before the badge was actually produced in Germany which seems highly unlikely. If it was produced after the decree it makes no business sense unless they gambled that the KM wouldn't pay attention to the PK directive.

As one can see in the comparisons, the wreath is thicker and egg-shaped, with a small eagle resembling a winged rat. In fact, the wreath and eagle are simply lifted from the French-made Destroyer badge and only the central motif was changed for the new design. Similar laziness is seen in the "French-made" Auxiliary Cruiser, Fleet and S-Boat badges which all share a common wreath and eagle design. No German maker ever re-used wreath and eagle designs in that manner for KM badges.
              Attached Files

Comment

I somehow missed this thread.
                Thanks for the hard work and research Norm. Very interesting to read
                and a treat for collectors interested in this particular badge.
                I'm sure i will use this thread in the future.

Jelle

Comment

Here's an image of the CA badge from an article "Kampf- und Waffen-Abzeichen" in Soldat im Donauland from February, 1943. It appears to be either a drawing or an airbrushed photo of the Juncker badge.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X