No announcement yet.

Honor Clasps of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the time you spent and all the work you made behind this presentation. I hope you'll make a book on this subject, I'll be very happy to buy it!

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
      Thanks for all the time you spent and all the work you made behind this presentation. I hope you'll make a book on this subject, I'll be very happy to buy it!

Honor

I´ll agree with Antonio if you make a book I´ll buy it

Andy

Comment

Thank you, guys, the most interesting just begins because the CupAl (one-piece construction) clasp that Bob Hritz first showed as original and my two-piece construction clasp share the very same design - exactly that very same design that so much differs from the Klein design (as we saw it when we compared my two-piece construction clasp with the Klein clasp before), which means that the one-piece construction clasp (Bob Hritz example) and the my two-piece construction clasp have been made by the very same maker and it is exactly what IMO makes them both original beyond any doubts because no faker in the world would do two different die-strike variants, one of which is of high-quality and two-piece construction (just like Klein), the other one is the one-piece construction (which Klein never made) and both for some reason with the same so "blatantly wrong" (so-obviously-different-than-Klein) design. It would be just too unbelievable to believe to as these are absolutely illogical things to do for any faker.

As I see it, in the reality, the original story of these clasps is much simpler. The order to make this award (the Honor Roll Clasp of the German Army) was given to two jewelry firms: one is Klein of Hanau, the other one is unknown. Both makers were giving the design of the new award and its specifications. Based on these documents (given design and specs) the Klein firm developed their own die for the clasp. The second maker developed his die, independently from Klein, therefore, of course, with slightly different details. Until the end, Klein was making only one variant of this clasp - his well-known two-piece construction clasp, while the second maker (at some stage) switched to the less-time-consuming method of making these clasps. He created a new die and started to make with just a single strike his one-piece-construction clasps from CupAl.
        This is much more believable than any story with fakes.

Lets compare these two claps together and see if you agree with me that these are from the same maker.
        Attached Files

Comment

Left wreath comparison. Please note how close details of the one-piece construction clasp and my two-piece-construction clasp are and how they equally differ from the Klein design.

As you can see it is the very same design but please don't forget that one-piece and two-piece clasps are made with different dies by definition.
          Attached Files

Comment

Right wreath comparison
            Attached Files

Comment

Shape of oak leafs are the same, the same veins on oak leafs, the same lines and angles in design of knots of ribbons, and ribbon ends, etc. (comparison below).
              Attached Files

Comment

Ribbon ends side-by-side comparison
                Attached Files

Comment

Swastika comparison. Please note that the indentation on these two (unknown maker) clasps are shaped in the same manner and their swastikas look as one. In this picture IMO it is especially obvious that these two clasps are made by the very same maker.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also there are hand-detailing marks (in green circles) on the swasika of my two-piece-construction clasps that are similar to the marks that are on the one-piece-construction clasps.
                    Attached Files

Comment

These marks close-up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The same color of the base metal (very reddish) used on front of these clasps (most likely tombak with high copper content).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Amazing thread,

thank you for posting this. I do not think that the number of makers of this clasp stops at just two.

I have a veteran brought back example found in a veteran's photo album. Although it is very close in detail to your "unknown maker" and also made from a "very reddish" base metal", it has some slightly different details in more ways than one.

Reading your thread and taking on board the good points that you make, I believe this might be a third maker of this award.

Let us know when you are finished posting your images and I will post some of my clasp. It makes sense that there would be more than one maker. For a long time now on WAF, I have always said that one has to develope an eye for a variation from the the norm.

This thread is one of the finest examples to date, I have seen of this theory in action.

Many thanks,

Chris
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Here is one more (that is third and last that I could find) example of the one-piece-construction clasp from this "unknown" maker. This clasp was sold on Estand a few months ago as original (and IMO it is original). Even though this clasp (picture below) looks quite different than examples that we saw in this thread, I believe that it is the same one-piece-construction clasp and it has been made from the very same single-strike die as all other ones shown in this thread before. One must remember that the Honor clasp is a small-size award with a lot of tiny details and when photographed a different light and shadows could really play tricks, the very same details may appear on pictures very differently, as in this case with this clasp.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You can see that this clasp is "full size" that is has been cut-out just like my two-piece-construction, unlike Bob Hritz and Stepdale's clasps that for whatever reason miss their side portions of the original design (along edges). See what I mean in the picture below (at the far right-hand side is Stepdale's one-piece construction clasp - you can see that its wreath is thinner than my clasp at the far left-hand side, because it for some reason misses a portion of the "full-size"/original design).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here are these two clasps (Stepdale's and Gregory D.) side-by-side for comparison. At first glance they do look different but in fact they are the same.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X