Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tombak to zinc

tombak to zinc
    Was there a set date when German medal/decorations/badges makers switched from tombak/cupal to zinc? I always had the sense it began in 1943. I always wondered if there was a government directive to conserve crucial metals or a simple result of them becoming expensive and hard to obtain.
    Tried this on the collector's corner section but no one replied.

Hi Rich,

The switch to zinc was early 1942. After Germany realized they were not going to get a quick victory in Russia, they went into full war footing economy which would direct brass stocks to the armament factories and therefore badges were to start being made from zink. Zink was used earlier than that by makers like Schickle and Juncker, but it wasn't until early 1942 when it became the norm. Existing stocks of brass/cupal were still used after that and higher end awards were still allowed to be made with higher quality metals like brass and nickel silver.

Tom
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    sigpic
    Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

tombak to zink

Thanks Tom. A little earlier than I thought.
      Rich

Comment

The directive came from Speer in or around March 1942.

The same thing happened in the US, where lip stick tubes instead of brass were made from cardboard, with an apology from Revlon.

Comment

tombak to zink

Thanks for the info. Certainly explains the skewed ratio between tombak and zinc badges.

Comment

Working...
          X