Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of finish query

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is method of returning colour to a zinc badge.

For example say a bronze CCC that has lost 70% of its bronze coating. Is the colour gone from the badge forever or has it seeped into the zinc over time and can be drawn back out via cleaning or Vaseline. I know the Vaseline process helps minimise zinc pest but can it also draw back out the colour?

Or is it simply that, other than repainting which I don’t want to do, is the colour gone for all time.

I hope the above it a bit clearer than mud.

Thanks for all your help and I hope this is not a stupid request or question for all you vastly more experienced collectors

Is mise
    Barry

There is none..

When the finish is gone, it is gone. You can use vaseline to protect the medal against zink pest. Don't do anything else. Please don't refinish a badge, it will lose all its value (IMHO)

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

I would never consider repainting a badge. Pure sacrilege in my book.

You have just confirmed my initial opinion on my question

Many thanks
      Stay safe
      Barry

Comment

That's the sad side of zinc. A distaster to keep it finish. It' a pity the Germans had shortages of copper during the war

Regards, Wim
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Thanks Wim,

It most certainly is

Barry

Comment

All you can do is send it to Chet Sowersby for top dollar as he loves zinc badges that have lost all their finish.
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Comment

Jeff old buddy, I see you're in good mood this morning!

Chet
                Zinc stinks!

Comment

Not that I've done it (nor recommending it), but copper plating a zink badge shouldn't be that hard to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas P. View Post
                    Not that I've done it (nor recommending it), but copper plating a zink badge shouldn't be that hard to do.
                    Maybe, but what's the sense of it? You will only devalue the badge by doing that.
                    You just have to appreciate zinc badges the way they are... only zincpest should be treated.

Jelle

Comment

Thanks all.

I will be leaving well enough alone as per the general consensus

Many thanks and stay safe

Is mise
                      Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,

Vaseline will certainly bring out any bronze finish that is left on a zink badge. Zinc doesn't absorb finish, rather the finish flakes off and once it is off the badge it is gone forever. But something bronze finish is still remaining on the badge but its hard to see due to dirt or patina or zinkpest, etc. A light coating of vaseline will help bring out any bronze finish that is left and would certainly help the look of a badge.

Tom
                        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks a million as always. It is such a shame the colour disappears off these fantastic badges over time but I guess we all loose our shine as we get older. As the saying goes ‘Time waits for no man’

Is mise
                          Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                            Hi Barry,

Vaseline will certainly bring out any bronze finish that is left on a zink badge. Zinc doesn't absorb finish, rather the finish flakes off and once it is off the badge it is gone forever. But something bronze finish is still remaining on the badge but its hard to see due to dirt or patina or zinkpest, etc. A light coating of vaseline will help bring out any bronze finish that is left and would certainly help the look of a badge.

Tom
                            Hi Tom,

That's an interesting point to think about. If you look at he fading gold finish of the 75 and 100 numbered General Assault badge you would swear that it fades or disappear or evaporate from the zinc? If it flakes of then it must be in very tine pieces and not in pieces that are a bit larger (some mm) at the time? I mean the common Wurster GAB has extremely zinc bubbles and their you could easy say that the zinc will loss once the bubbles get damaged. But the gold wash on the numbered GAB's have such a "fading' look.

Regards, Wim
                            Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Thanks for the input Wim.

Comment

Working...
                              X