Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys

......I think Wim is correct.
    As he says flaking would have to be very minute. But even so shouldn't there be residue somewhere? Especially in badges that have lost their finish in controlled storage?
    I seem to recall the words 'absorbed' and 'faded' routinely used to describe the loss of finish from zinc badges and awards.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for your input my friend. It is greatly appreciated

Is mise
      Barry

Comment

I have personally never seen any flaking of the finish as it disappears. Perhaps the flaking happens at a microscopic level but to my naked eyes the finish just seems to disappear. On the couple of badges that I own where the finish has noticeably deteriorated there has never been any noticeable flakes on the cloth that the badge rested on, yet the finish is fading.
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Hi guys,

Here is a great article on zinc and the different types of finishes used.

https://www.eazall.com/PublicDoc/Sur...Evaluation.pdf

Even though zink is somewhat porous, it does not absorb finish. Bruce, I agree that "absorbing" was a term used in the past, but in my opinion that is not correct. Zink does not absorb finish, but rather the finish slowly over time loses is bond with the zink base metal and then leaves the surface of the clasp. Here are some snippets from that article. Fading could be more appropriate term, but ultimately the reason for the loss of finish is that it is leaving the clasp because the bond to the zink has broken down.

Flaking of the finish is the most appropriate in my opinion. Some flakes are certainly bigger than others, like on Wurster and Juncker badges we see bigger flakes and bubbles. But other makers who used a more refined quality of zink base metal like F&BL and FLL, etc. you will still find flaking of the finish but much smaller. Take any badge you suspect of "fading" finish and rub your finger on it, then look at your finger under a magnifying glass and you will see tiny flecks of finish. The size of the flakes are also dependent on the type of finish used. Some of the higher quality, plated finishes will come off in bigger flakes. The lesser quality, later war sprayed on brennlack finishes are more like spraypaint and will come off in smaller flakes.

Wim, the 75 & 100 JFS GABs you are referring too might not have ever had any gold finish on them to begin with. There is a school of thought, which I think is likely correct is that these badges, for whatever reason never received a gold finish. If they did, you would see traces of gold finish on atleast some of them. In the tight recess, etc. you would find a trace of finish.

Tom
          Attached Files
          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

There is a really good section at the end of the article where it discussed the different types of finish materials and methods. Many of these we see on the badges we collect, in particular the plated finish and the sprayed on finishes where the finish doesn't always get in the recesses of the badge being coated. Very interesting read.

Tom
            Attached Files
            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

This absorption vs. flaking topic has been kicked around before. My experience with this issue is the same as Jeffs. That said, all I have used to examine my badges is a 10x hand lens. Maybe under greater magnification flaking can be observed.

Chet
              Zinc stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                All you can do is send it to Chet Sowersby for top dollar as he loves zinc badges that have lost all their finish.
                Good one Jeff! I was thing the same thing but you beat me to it

Thanks for sharing those very informative articles Tom
                Regards
                Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
                I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Thanks for sharing those articles Tom.
                  Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. This thread has been a fascinating and informative read

Many thanks
                    Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barrymac View Post
                      Thanks for all the feedback. This thread has been a fascinating and informative read

Many thanks
                      Barry
                      Indeed it becomes an interesting thread

Regards, Wim
                      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Working...
                      X