X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sevrin
    replied
    Thanks HPL,

Figured so. Considered slight chance since it was connected to the rail service, might be different, but I suppose since it was produced like the others by an "association" that would disqualify it.

James

Leave a comment:

• HPL2008
    replied
    Originally posted by Sevrin View Post
    Would this particular medal have been considered one of the "vanity" medals after the regulations changes, or would this have been authorized for wear? I'm guessing no.
    it was of an unofficial nature. None of the three awards on this bar were authorized for wear after 1934.

Leave a comment:

• Sevrin
    replied
    Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
    It's the first-type Erinnerungskreuz [Commemorative Cross] of the Reichsbund Deutscher Eisenbahner-Kriegsteilnehmer 1914-18 e.V. (an association of railway personnel who had participated in WW I).
    Would this particular medal have been considered one of the "vanity" medals after the regulations changes, or would this have been authorized for wear? I'm guessing no.

Thanks!

James

Leave a comment:

• Ian Hulley
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonA View Post
    More nice bars, Ian, and a good array of awards! You’ve scored a lot of bars lately; cabinet drawers filling up fast!!!

Congrats.

Cheers mate

There seem to be a few collections being liquidated at good prices so it seems rude not to.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• JasonA
    replied
    More nice bars, Ian, and a good array of awards! You’ve scored a lot of bars lately; cabinet drawers filling up fast!!!

Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• Sevrin
    replied
    Thanks for the help; I appreciate it very much!

James

Leave a comment:

• HPL2008
    replied
    It's the first-type Erinnerungskreuz [Commemorative Cross] of the Reichsbund Deutscher Eisenbahner-Kriegsteilnehmer 1914-18 e.V. (an association of railway personnel who had participated in WW I).

Leave a comment:

• Gardereiter
    replied
    I am reading the intials " D E K " on the blue Maltese-style cross at the end. I'll take a shot in the dark and suggest it might be a decoration issued by the Deutscher Evangelischer Kirchenbund which was founded in 1918. This would not be the first time I see a decoration issued by a religious organization on a Weimar era medal bar, particularly on one that has no official military awards from the Kaiserreich. I'm probably way off base, however.
    Last edited by Gardereiter; 07-01-2020, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sevrin
    replied
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Ian, but on the subject of vanity bars, I was wondering if someone could verify what the end blue Maltese cross on this bar is exactly. It was described as a 'railway' veterans award.

Thanks!

James
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sevrin; 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Hulley
    replied
    Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post

Yes; the Hanseatenkreuz was an official award jointly instituted by the senates of the Hanseatic City-States of Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck in 1915.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• HPL2008
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
    Hi JC (and you James) the Hanseatic Crosses were retained under the post-1934 regs alongside the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross. I guess they were counted as awards of the German States in the same way as Prussia, Baden, Bavaria etc etc ?
    Yes; the Hanseatenkreuz was an official award jointly instituted by the senates of the Hanseatic City-States of Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck in 1915.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Hulley
    replied
    Hi JC (and you James) the Hanseatic Crosses were retained under the post-1934 regs alongside the Silesian Eagle and Baltic Cross. I guess they were counted as awards of the German States in the same way as Prussia, Baden, Bavaria etc etc ?

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Jean-Claude
    replied
    Thanks James and perfect example photo. You are right: attractive crosses and It wouldnt be worn with the Hindenberg Cross if it were a vanity medal

JC

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Sevrin
    replied
    Pretty sure the 3 Hanseatic crosses fall under the official category, similar to the German state merit/EK equivalent medals. IMO, those are among some of the most attractive decorations of the time. Beautiful medal bar from Tom Y.'s collection:

James
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jean-Claude
    replied
    Nice Vanity items Ian. I'm also a fan and pick them up whenever I can. Just wondering...Are the 3 Hanseatic crosses considered vanity medals as well or are they more like the Schlesischer Adler and the Baltic cross because I've seen some on TR medal bars?

Take care

JC

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X