BATTLE OF RETHYMNO HILL A! research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BATTLE OF RETHYMNO HILL A! research

The most vital hill in the battle of Rethymno, hill A, is waiting to reveal its secrets. Hill A was the key to Rethymno airfield. On that hill the commander of Rethymno forces, Ian Campbel placed 4x75mm guns and 2x100mm(Italian)guns in order to protect the runway. On the footheels were placed Medium Mgs with men from the 2/1 MG Battalion. On 20/5/1941 around 3:30, men from I/FJR2, 2/MG7, sections from 2/FLA MG7 and 14/FJR2,(Missdrops took place and men from 10/FJR2) jumped on this sector. Hans Kroh, commander of I/FJR2 understood the significance of the hill and attacked immediatelly. The paratroopers took the advantage of the terraces. The defenders couldnt spot them and thus managed to capture the high ground on the NE part of the hill. The gunners from the Australian 2/3 Field Rgt retreated having sustained many casualties. Many paratroopers probably from 10/FJR2 were dropped on them. Half of the hill was captured by the Germans the first day. The second day the Australians counter attacked and repelled the paratroopers from the hill. They retreated to Stavromenos Olive oil factory. The hill was covered with bodies mostly paratroopers. Some of them were found after the war. Today walking on the hill can be a surprise....
    Attached Files

looking W
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking down the airfield. My friend Mike Smithe on the hill.
      Attached Files

Comment

the airfield in 1945 AWM
        Attached Files

Comment

views from hill A and the grave of the Australian Cpt Moriarty who was killed near there...
          Attached Files

Comment

Hill A, grave of Gfr Begget
            Attached Files

Comment

piece from para harness resting on the ground and a D ring from an ammo pouch. Evidence that German paras landed on the Australian positions
              Attached Files

Comment

spent cases 303 from the Australian positions N part of the hill and 7,92 German found NE the side of the German attack as mentioned in the diaries. Also a deactivated Mills grenade, found W of the hill. Also some 9mm ammo
                Attached Files
                Last edited by skarts; 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Me(the slim one) guiding an Australian son of a veteran in the field his ancestor had fought....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing, please post more Been to Crete several times fantastic place.

Br, Thomas

Comment

Hello Skarts,
                      Really interesting thread and I really like those 'then and now' photos together with the relics that you have discovered.

I have visited Crete a few times, but not for many years. All being well, I hope to visit again next year.
                      Best regards,
                      Andy

Comment

I would dig there 😊
                        But the most interesting places seems Galatas hills and Maleme area.. always drove there when visited Kreta .
                        Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Well digging in private property and without permission may cause some problems to you...

Comment

Originally posted by skarts View Post
                            Well digging in private property and without permission may cause some problems to you...
                            Yes, sure,like anywhere... even in Russia.. I talked with couple of locals around Agya and had agreement to dig among their grape trees but unfortunately hadn't metal detector . Nice places and seems some relics can be found, not sure about good condition..
                            Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy F-P View Post
                              Hello Skarts,
                              Really interesting thread and I really like those 'then and now' photos together with the relics that you have discovered.

I have visited Crete a few times, but not for many years. All being well, I hope to visit again next year.
                              Best regards,
                              Andy
                              Andy i can take you to the place that this Greek was executed
                              Remember? You had sent me some scans...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X