Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fsch. Stug. Woundbadge Doc

Hello,

i´ll show you a nice black Woundbadge Doc from a Member of Fallschirm - Sturmgeschütz - Brigade Schmitz from my Collection.

When you take a look at the Wounddate the Para was probably wounded by an Allied Para.

The Stug - Brigade Schmitz was formed at June 1944 and destroyed at the Allied Normandy Campaign - later in January 1945 reformed as Fallschirm Sturmgeschütz Brigade 21.

Best Regards
    Attached Files

Well if the date is correct then wounded by allied air attack seeing as the first drops occured after midnight. A very nice early D-Day casualty document though.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Interesting as there is no unit stamp on the document!

/Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

The Unit exists a little bit more than a month (Normandy) - i think they handn´t a own Unit Stamp.

Comment

Taken from Sturmvogel

<center>Fallschirm-Sturmgeschütz-Brigade Schmitz
          Fallschirm-Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 21 (1 Jan 45)
          Fallschirm-Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 210 (28 Mar 45)

</center> Jan 45 in Italy with four batteries
          [only commander listed: Oberstleutnant August Schmitz]
          [Details are scanty on this unit. Perhaps originally a provisional formation and then supposedly a First Parachute Army unit, but deployed to Italy]
          [Another source states that Fallschirm-Sturmgeschütz-Brigade Schmitz was formed 6/44 from 2./Fallschirm-Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 2 with 4 companies.]
          2 Feb 45 I Parachute Corps, 10th Army, Army Group Ligurien under the title of Fallschirm-Sturmgeschütz-Brigade
          May 45 listed among units surrendering in Italy
          No Europa counter (1x 3-2-10 Aslt Gun X 21 (LW) appears Jan I 45 in Italy, or earlier as forming in WK VII?)

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

And from Axis History:

Fallschirm-Sturmgeschutz-Brigade 21
            (Fallschirm-Sturmgeschutz-Brigade Schmitz)

Possibly an ad-hoc or provisional formation, Fallschirm-Sturmgeschutz-Brigade Schmitz was formed in June 1944 from 2./Fallschirm-Panzer-Jager-Abteilung 2 with 4 companies as part of the I. Fallschirm-Armee (3)(4) (Source A claims this happened sometime in 1943. The Brigade was to be part of the I. Fallschirm Korps. (A, 243)), but deployed in Italy to address the growing weakness against the superior quantity of Allied armor being brought to bear against the Germans. The unit at this time followed the common German practice of being named after its commander Oberstleutnant August Schmitz. (This is the only commander listed for the Brigade over the course of the war (4).)

With the collapse of Mussolini’s regime, the Germans used captured Italian assault guns to equip the unit. Rudolf Jackl, a member of the unit, claims that the unit was equipped exclusively with Italian assault guns until the end of the war (A, 244). For much of 1944 they were armed with Italian semoventes (StuG M42 75/18, 75/34 and M43 105/25). At one point in 1944 the Brigade had 49 M43 Assault Guns with 105/25 guns and six command tanks. The unit had expanded to 56 M43 in 1945.

Originally formed around 3 batteries the unit was expanded to four batteries and renamed Fallschirm Sturmgeschutz Brigade 21 in January 1, 1945 (4) (Source 3 says the unit was formally formed on the 19th as the 21st). February 2, 1945 the Brigade is listed under the I. Fallschirm-Korps, 10th Army, Army Group Ligurien (4). Brigade 21 was again renamed Fallschirm Sturmgeschutz Brigade 210 on March 28, 1945 (3)(4). The brigade fought well in defense through out the Italian campaign (A, 244). The unit is listed to have surrendered to American forces north of the river Po (A, 244) in May 1945 (4).

Comment

I'm the guy who interviewed Jackl. Fallschirm-Sturmgeschuetz Brigade Schmitz was in Italy throughout its existence. Obsolete Italian assault guns, standard FJ uniforms (not wrappers).

Comment

Oh, sorry for the wrong information.

I´d read that Fsch.Stug.Brigade Schmitz was part of the Fallschirm - Panzerjäger - Abteilung 2 - and they fought in the Normandy.

Best Regards

Comment

Here is another award document from the same unit from my collection. Award documents to this unit are rare. This one is signed by Generalleutnant Helmuth Boehlke, who commanded the 334th Infantry Division in 1944-45, and bears the division stamp. Fallschirm-Sturmgeschuetz-Brigade Schmitz was assigned to this division.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My contribution to this post. Few documents from
                    Ofw. HAUMANN veteran of Crete and Leros who was
                    also in the 1./Schmitz (FpNr.54774).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not so great photo of the crew of Stug.20128 (I guess).
                      Attached Files

Comment

A note dated January 1945 which is containing
                        the crews list of tanks of the II.Zug.
                        The FpNr.50949 is for 1.-4./FJR 11
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ofw. HAUMANN is listed as chief of the tank N°20128.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by JYN; 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Report dated 22.08.44 concerning Ofw. HAUMANN actions
                            during the race for ROME on 06.06.44.

The one you are posting is also related to the combats in Rome aera.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Chris and Jean

Great Docs!

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X