Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brigade ramcke

Hi,
    Just bought the book L'Odyssee de la Brigade Ramcke a El Alamein", the first 15 or so photos all show the newly formed Fsch Lehr Battalion headed by its commander von der Heydte, all in new uniforms with their appropriate decorations etc., but the curious point is that none of them are wearing the diving eagle/wreath Parachute qualification badge or a Kreta cuff title, even though it is obvious that von der Heydte and many of his accompanying officers are jump qualified and were at Krete.

Is there an explanation for this ? much appreciate any sort of answer

cheers Paul
    Last edited by lennard999; 11-30-2020, 10:41 AM.

IMO same as why no jump bades where worn in greece prior to crete - so the enemy is not aware para troops are around.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks, but I maybe should have been clearer, the photos are taken at Hildesheim, Germany as the newly created Fsch Lehr Battalion is about to leave for Egypt in 1942, where they became the II Batt/Ramcke Brigade, Before becoming the Fsch Lehr Batt they were the I Batt/Fsch Regt 3 used on Krete, in all three OOB's they were commanded by von der Heydt. Both Heydte and Trebes, also in the photo, had been awarded their KC's in July 1941.

So these photos are very much after Krete.

Still wondering why,

cheers PAUL
      pictures_0009.jpg

Comment

Of course they left for africa after crete, thanks for the history lesson...

Crete was just an example for ANOTHER case where no jump badges where worn...

Comment

What’s the book like Paul ? New photos or the ones seen before ?
          cheers
          "Difficult decisions are the privilege of rank, Herr Gruppenfuhrer"

Comment

Hi eubank,

Well, its all in French which is no good for me, but I knew that before I bought it, yes lots of good photos, seen some before but not all, also a lot of photos of British vehicles, why ???,

It was worth it for me to buy it, but no charts of the Ramcke Brigade organisation and their equipment, maybe its in the French wording, so I have missed it.

cheers PAUL

Comment

Hi,
              Does anybody know when the Kreta cuff title was actually issued, how long after the battle in May 1941 ?

thanks Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by lennard999 View Post
                Hi eubank,

Well, its all in French which is no good for me, but I knew that before I bought it, yes lots of good photos, seen some before but not all, also a lot of photos of British vehicles, why ???,

It was worth it for me to buy it, but no charts of the Ramcke Brigade organisation and their equipment, maybe its in the French wording, so I have missed it.

cheers PAUL
                There was lots of capturing and re using of the other sides vehicles going on in the desert war.
                The British trucks may have been those captured by the Brigade during the retreat from El Alamein to get back to German lines perhaps ? depending on who took them/ when they were pictured of course ... but it was by British trucks they escaped.

Comment

Originally posted by lennard999 View Post
                  Hi,
                  Does anybody know when the Kreta cuff title was actually issued, how long after the battle in May 1941 ?

thanks Paul.
                  Towards the end of ‘42 it seems , from award document dates.

Comment

Better to buy this book;

https://www.amazon.com/Fallschirmjag.../dp/0764333534

Kreta CTs would have not been awarded yet. Plus, as Patrick indicated, for intelligence purposes troops departing for a campaign might have been told to not wear any badge/ emblem identifying the type of troops they were.
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

Sapere aude - "Dare to know! Have the courage to use your own intelligence!" - Immanuel Kant

Comment

Hi,
                      Thanks for the answers, so cuff titles had not been issued when the photos were taken and para badges are not shown for security reasons.

The British vehicles in the book are still in British use, and are tanks and artillery, nohing captured..

many thanks. Paul
                      Last edited by lennard999; 12-01-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Another example. Obfw Schlicht, I./FJR 3 (Kampfgruppe von der Heydte), takes time out for a studio portrait in Athens, en route to North Africa, Jul/Aug 1942. Schlicht was a former member of the Fallschirm-Infanterie-Kompanie, but is not wearing his FSA des Heeres for the reasons stated above.
                        Attached Files
                        Wanted: studio portraits, award documents & groupings from the Fallschirm-Infanterie, Sturmabteilung ‘Koch’, Fallschirmjäger-Brigade ‘Ramcke’ & SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl. 500/600

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                          Of course they left for africa after crete, thanks for the history lesson...

Crete was just an example for ANOTHER case where no jump badges where worn...
                          What a dick answer! Then we wonder why young guys are discouraged from participating in this Forum? Look at his post count Patrick, he's not an expert like you and is just genuinely trying to increase his knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post

What a dick answer! Then we wonder why young guys are discouraged from participating in this Forum? Look at his post count Patrick, he's not an expert like you and is just genuinely trying to increase his knowledge.
                            Dick answer??? - To bad this forum does not allow words I would like to answer to you!
                            To understand my first reply nobody needs to be an expert, just able ro read and understand english!

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post

Dick answer??? - To bad this forum does not allow words I would like to answer to you!
                              To understand my first reply nobody needs to be an expert, just able ro read and understand english!
                              Send me a PM. We can take it up there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X