Prayer Book with FJ name and campaigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayer Book with FJ name and campaigns

I recently acquired this rather interesting Protestant prayer book. Has the name of the owner inscribed, a paratrooper, Ottomar Mielke. The left side suggests potentially post war inscribed? Home address stamp and campaigns served in different ink compared to the right hand side page.

Document a bit battered but interesting piece of history. Googled the address in Stuttgart and it’s still there.

Be keen to get any any advice from this forum on how to research this fellow.

many thanks

Gordon
    Attached Files

Btt

Comment

Gordon,

Nice find! Really unique piece.

My best guess is that he carried this Protestant song book with him during the war and then maybe added his address after the war. I searched and could not find a file on the soldier. From my experience, it is hard to find personnel files for Fallschirmjager. It looks like you have a good amount of information from his entries.

Probably in 1944 he wrote down his unit in Italy - from the division all the way to the squad level! I can make out 4th Fallschirmjager Division, Fallschimjager Sturm Rgt. 12, I. Battalion, 3. Komp., and then I cannot make out the last two. You can find the history of the 4th Fallschirmjager Division in Italy online. They fought a lot of hard battles against the Allies. The 4th Fallschirmjager Division was formed in Italy in November of 1943, so from his entries we know he was with another unit before this time.

The only hints to his units before that time are on the first page where he lists (I think) - France and Russia 1942, Greece 1943, Italy 1944. What stands out to me is Greece 1943. I think the others make sense for a Fallschirmjager unit, but I am not sure what Fallschirmjager units were stationed in Greece in 1943. It wouldn't surprise me if there were FJ in Greece for training - I will leave that to the more knowledgable forum members! The 4th Fallschirmjager Division used members of the 2nd Fallschirmjager Division for their foundation. So I think this is a question you should try to find the answer to that will help in your search.

It could be that he was with another Luftwaffe unit before he moved to the 4th Fallschirmjager Division. Being in Greece in 1943 my guess would be some kind of Luftwaffe ground crew or maybe even a pilot. I know that they took a lot of recruits from other Luftwaffe units to refill their ranks in 1944, which was common with all of the Fallschirmjager divisions later in the war.

Best regards,
      Jordan

P.S. - One more note. Does it say Russia or Holland 1942? My guess above is that is says Russia. It is too blurry for me to read.
      Last edited by Humble480; 08-02-2020, 12:32 PM.
      Always looking for Fallschirmjäger Soldbuch related to the Italian Campaign (especially highly decorated soldiers)

Also looking for "Kreta" engraved Gravity Knife...

Kind regards

Comment

Jordan,

Thank you very much for the informative feedback. Interesting that you say there was no file on him. I was considering approaching the the Bundesarchive though it did say that many records were lost during the war.

Very insightful about the unit description. I thought it was (19)41 Fallschirmjager or 41 Fallshirmjager. Now that you mention it, the (1) is probably his way of separating each section as they are common on each line. Yes I also cannot make out the next two levels but was probably what platoon he was in, then maybe squad/ section.

I will certainly read up on the 4th Division. I might need to see if there is a reference book on this division to help fill in the gaps. More questions than answers at this stage.

It says Holland 1942.

Regards

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
        X