Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of the most informative threads I have in a while! When I looked at the the first thing I saw was the 4 but the A is the most useful tip!
    Kyle

Looking for armbands.

Comment

"KUBAN" Fake Shield

Originally posted by Pascal H. View Post
      I thought it would be a good idea to show you how one you can quickly recognize a very well made Kuban fake shield.

I will show you what in my opinion is probably one of the best copies of a Kuban shield. Very difficult to determine if one is fake or not only just from pictures.

Here is the fake I am talking about,
      It seems that the easiest way to tell them apart is the placement of the word "LUGANEN". It is even with the second "step" in the design on the fakes and even at about "step", 1 1/2 on the originals.
      mike

Comment

Kuban Fake

This is a very good analysis of the details between the fake and original versions of this particular shield.

I did want to bring up one issue regarding the fake that did not get discussed, which I think should be the first red flag before any of the details need to even be considered.

I would bring this up as a question because I could be wrong...

Is this fake not first given away by the splotchy, uneven patina? Such is so characteristic of a brass stamped piece and not so much on one made of the proper base metal?
        Michael Baskette
        (Collecting the Red Army of the Great Patriotic War and those who fought against them)

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad View Post
          This is a very good analysis of the details between the fake and original versions of this particular shield.

I did want to bring up one issue regarding the fake that did not get discussed, which I think should be the first red flag before any of the details need to even be considered.

I would bring this up as a question because I could be wrong...

Is this fake not first given away by the splotchy, uneven patina? Such is so characteristic of a brass stamped piece and not so much on one made of the proper base metal?

Very good point Michael and I agree with you on this particular example. I used the fake shield in this thread because I have it in my collection. The reason I didn't point out the use of material is that not all off these fakes look like this. Some of these fake shields look really convincing.

Here is another example of this type fake of which the material looks really convincing.

Kr
          Pascal
          Attached Files

Comment

Now witj tjos one I agree with you... I would probably have to give that one a better look per your analysis.
            Michael Baskette
            (Collecting the Red Army of the Great Patriotic War and those who fought against them)

Comment

Would like to see something on the Krim shield as well.Thanks, B

Comment

Very informative thread. I was able to look at the Kuban shield I have in my collection which was brought back by a US GI and indeed it matches exactly what Pascal said to look for in an original. I had no idea before. Thank you.
                Paul

Comment

Superb.

Comment

very informative thanks kevin.:

Comment

Great job on one of my favorite shields!
                      Thanks for the info

Comment

finding a fake

wow! this site makes you sit up and take notice! i am going to the vault and take a good look. thanks for the knowledge.

Comment

Only just read this very informative thread and now going to have a look at two of my Kubans-one of which I definitely had my doubts about for many years.
                          Thanks for the post.

Comment

I believe this may be another example of this type of fake that has been aged etc. Can more knowledgeable collectors of awards confirm that ? Thank you.
                            Attached Files
                            Collecting Nebeltruppe-Smoke Troops Items and Post-War Unit Histories

Comment

Better image. Seems to automatically turn the images sideways. Sorry for that.
                              Attached Files
                              Collecting Nebeltruppe-Smoke Troops Items and Post-War Unit Histories

Comment

Kuban shields

I remember when Kuban's, Narvicks,[both silver and gold], and Krim's were laying around on almost every 4th table at gun shows. I bought one of each and no more because they were cheap and plentiful. Now they're faking them and doing a good job of it. If The Nazi's had only known how much their medals would be in demand along with all the other paraphenallia , they would have made more for the post war GI's. I'm glad I got in when I did and sorry I didn't buy the rare stuff when I could. Good post to keep us aware. keep it up , we appreciate it . B

Comment

Working...
                                X