Narvik shield with KM backing for authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narvik shield with KM backing for authentication

This one looks good to me but I do not specialize in shields. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Todd
    Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von Fürstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

This is original shield by an unknown maker. This is also called the "snaggletooth" shield.

Kr
    Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Pascal H. View Post
      This is original shield by an unknown maker. This is also called the "snaggletooth" shield.

Kr
      Pascal
      Thank-you Pascal. I really appreciate it.
      Todd
      Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von Fürstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

very interesting shield, nice looking one

alejandro

Comment

I really like the look to this shield. I have one in similar condition to include very slight zinc pest. I've just never worked up the courage to very, very, very carefully give it a vaseline treatment for fear of getting some on the backing cloth.
          Dale
          I am searching for medals and badges from Gablonz makers.

Comment

Thanks Alejandro and Dale!
            Todd

Comment

Very nice shield, I really like the patina to it!

Kind regards,

AW
              - EKII
              - Purple Hearts
              - Wound Badge Documents
              - Wound Badges 1st & 2nd Pattern
              - Everything related to the war in the Arctic Region

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I purchased the shield.
                Todd

Comment

Nice Narvik shield but you have to do something about the zinkpest

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post

Andy
                    Thanks! Yes sir, planning on carefully treating it as soon as it arrives.
                    Todd

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post

Andy
                      What is the best way to deal with zinkpest please?
                      Last edited by glaser; 04-22-2020, 03:04 AM. Reason: typo
                      KRIEGSMARINE, MPA, Marine Peil Abteilung, MPHS Marine Peil Hauptstelle Flandern Brügge, BELGIUM, Operation RAMROD 934, Feldpostnr 22661

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                        What is the best way to deal with zinkpest please?
                        http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=594636

Of course in the specific case of any metal insignia with a cloth backing like this shield, care must be taken to not get Vaseline on the backing cloth.
                        Todd

Comment

You can 't remove zinc corrosion from an object, but you can stop it. To do that, I use conservation tefloon spray for weapons.
                          Attached Files
                          Yours faithfully!
                          Yury

Comment

Treated the shield with Vaseline applied with a toothpick. Let it set over night and then rubbed off with a Q-tip. Didn't take any "after" photos but appearance is slightly better but more importantly the pest may have been arrested or at least greatly slowed. Photo is when I had just gotten started, working on the eagle first.
                            Attached Files
                            Todd

Comment

Working...
                            X