Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

57er GAB 50 For Discussion

Hi,

After seeing the fine 57er GAB 50 (about the best I have seen) shown by Pattex , I thought it would be a good time to have a compare and contrast with this example. I won't say anything other than it does have a solid hinge block, and a nice heavy weight. So, have a look, and comment away..............

Best,

Jeff
    Attached Files
    **Please visit My Albums at http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...um.php?u=63156

Very nice Jeff!!!
    The much rarer Deumer version....hard to find any of their numbered badges!!!
    What is the red staining on the wreath???
    -Nigel
    sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
      Very nice Jeff!!!
      The much rarer Deumer version....hard to find any of their numbered badges!!!
      What is the red staining on the wreath???
      -Nigel
      Hi Nigel,

No idea on the staining, I would like to try to clean it off, but not worth the risk damaging the badge/patina. I wonder if this badge is some type of hybrid as it does not have the standard Deumer rear hardware, much more like S&L?

Best,

Jeff
      **Please visit My Albums at http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...um.php?u=63156

Comment

Hi Jeff
        It is one of the standard Deumer type pins, its the slightly later one that came after the more "typical" early Deumer straight pin & coke bottle pin types!
        I think, because it looks very similar to the early/ mid 60's S&L type pin ( that followed the broad pin and the needle pin used on the earliest pieces )
        Many people don't immediately see a Deumer pin??
        I would try a little cleaning on a tiny area of the staining, nothing too harsh, and see if it removes it, if not just leave it!!
        -Nigel

Comment

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the comments, and good info on the pin!

I think I will have a go at a little wreath cleaning as the red "gunk" is definitely NOT natural patina. I think I will just work on the wreath, and leave the Eagle alone. I would not do this to a TR era badge, however it is not so "bad" giving a 57er the treatment. There is probably a beautiful badge under the gunk. I will post the final result........

Best,

Jeff

Comment

I am probably going to "militaria hell" for this offense!

The wreath cleaned up nicely, and the red "gunk" appeared to be either candle wax or maybe crayon???? There was no way to just pick it out, it was imbedded in the patina. I only used water on a q-tip and soft cotton cloth. I tried to leave the Eagle alone as much as possible.

So, the question is do I leave the Eagle/M24/Bayonet as is, or bring it in line with the wreath area?

Best,

Jeff
            Attached Files

Comment

The wreath looks great Jeff...you've done a great job!!
              Looks much better IMO!!
              As to the eagle.......i'm not sure what the brown discoloration is???
              Again, you could just give it a very gentle clean, the same as the wreath...if it comes off, great, if not, no worries, as it doesn't really detract from the badge, and looks much more "natural" than the red area's were!!
              -Nigel

Comment

Ended up pretty nice

Thanks to Nigel for the information, and "the push" to get rid of the gunk.

Also, thanks to Pattex for posting the nicest, and about only, early 57er S&L GAB 50!!!

Best,

Jeff
                Attached Files

Comment

That looks fantastic Jeff...TOP job!!!!
                  -Nigel

Comment

What a difference Jeff. Looks great!! I might be able to add to this thread over the weekend.

Regards,
                    Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by xmember View Post
                      What a difference Jeff. Looks great!! I might be able to add to this thread over the weekend.

Regards,
                      Rudy
                      Thanks Rudy!

Hope you have something cool to show!!!!

Best,

Jeff

Comment

I'd say cleaning it was the right decision. Looking good.

Comment

Here is my contribution Jeff. I will start with the “50” piece and I would like to hear what people have to say in comparison to Pattex piece. It looks like the cut out from the reverse is smaller but that could be my old eyes playing tricks but I believe this is a very early piece as well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nigel - interesting about what you said regarding Jeff’s piece being a Deumer. Here is mine with the same configuration.
                            Attached Files

Comment

But this one is an ST&L - correct.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X