Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Souval / 57er Reference Thread

Hi gents,

Per Jonathan and Mathijs excellent request, this thread will be dedicated to Souval manufactured pieces.

To maintain the focus and mission of our subforum, Nigel and I have discussed some guidelines for pieces posted here and have come up with the following. If you have any questions or suggestions concerning the guidelines, please PM Nigel and I with them.

Posted pieces should have at least one of the following characteristics...

Guidelines:
    1. The piece was originally manufactured as a 57er.
    2. The piece is in TR style, but has 57er style hardware, therefore linking it 57er's.
    3. The piece is in TR style, but was found in a grouping with 57er's.
    4. The piece is in TR style, but is known to be manufactured in 57er time frame.
    5. The piece is in TR style, but reveals something about 57er manufacture.

This thread has been added to our Links to Comparison and Reference Threads section for ease of use.

Okay gents, have some fun!
    Last edited by Mike Yokum; 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM.
    Kind regards,
    Mike

Collecting early 57er's and BW items and having a blast with my forum buddies!

Hi everyone,

I would like to start with Souval’s version of the Pilot Badge.

It’s an older badge that features the older style “pin claw” rivets. The badge has sharp details and is nicely silver-plated. The hardware does not feature the commonly known “Souval claw”.
    Attached Files

Comment

more
      Attached Files

Comment

Pilot/Observers Badge

This one again features Souval’s earlier “pin claw” rivet design together with the commonly known “Souval Claw”. It’s silver and gold plated with an overall nice quality job.
        Attached Files

Comment

reverse
          Attached Files

Comment

Combined Pilot/Observers badge with Diamonds

This is one rare bird that Souval offered in his earlier years. Souval’s post war version of the Combined Pilot/Observers badge with Diamonds featured white sapphires instead of diamonds. The badge itself is an earlier production piece. Made probably not later than 1957. It’s made of sterling silver that was gold plated. Certainly not one of Souval’s cheaper made post war badges.
            It was offered in two different versions. One with white sapphires only in the swastika, and this one with sapphires covering the entire Badge.
            Attached Files

Comment

more
              Attached Files

Comment

Combined Pilot/Observers badge with Diamonds (later years version)

This is the same category badge as the previous piece but in a later year’s version. The craftsmanship is not exactly the same anymore. The sapphires are not set-in the same more complex way as in the earlier years. While it still features silver and gold plating, the overall haptic is not as high as on the earlier badge.
                The badge also features a rather unusual hinge block for Souval’s post war badges.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wound Badge of July 20, 1944

This WB is silver plated with the typical Souval L/58 manufacturer marking and it does not feature the "Souval claw".
                  Attached Files

Comment

one more.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross

This sterling silver neck cross weighs 42g just like many of the pre 1945 crosses. Ribbon is UV negative and seems to be old stock. There are some flaws on the reverse side. The cross guards reveal flaws due to a worn die. This cross is unmarked, many others do have a 800 stamp or the L/58 mm.
                      The case is a 57 type RK case but I did get the cross that way, so I kept it that way.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Alex W.; 08-21-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Reverse side
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Alex!!
                          Some quite rare Souval pieces there!!!
                          While non of these have a direct link to 57ers, there are some things we can learn from them!!!
                          Most interesting for me is the hardware on the badges, a great mix of types and styles in unusual combinations!!
                          The first badge i find especially interesting, as it has the pin or claw rivets, which i think are early, but combined with a thick, flatwire catch, which appears to be either the same as that used by S&L in later years, or, possibly, the same as that used by Assmann on some of their badges,EK1's etc.
                          Is this possible proof that the thick flatwire catch existed long before it appears on S&L's 70's pieces???
                          The badge does look early, so this style of catch on what appears to be an earlier badge is of interest, as i would normally associate the typical Souval catch with early pieces!!
                          So that one piece on its own has made your pieces worth seeing and studying Alex!!!
                          Thanks for showing!!!
                          -Nigel
                          sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Nice pieces Alex. Can you post some pics of the edges of the RK KVK?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathancol View Post
                              Nice pieces Alex. Can you post some pics of the edges of the RK KVK?
                              sure no problem, I will post the pics on sunday.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X