Close Combat Badge in Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 60's by the look of it.

Too me it appears to have been painted with silver paint.

The back plate should not be silver.

Wayne
    "As Ye Sow So Shall Ye Reap"

Comment

Originally posted by bytown View Post
      Early 60's by the look of it.

Too me it appears to have been painted with silver paint.

The back plate should not be silver.

Wayne
      I agree, it looks like as pimped with silver colour.

best regards
      Pattex

Comment

Just a guess from what I see. I think this is probably a bronze clasp originally.

You could strip the paint off it and have a decent early bronze award.

Wayne

Comment

Interesting this one.....I wonder why the pin wasn't painted????
          I wonder if it has been silver dipped, held by the pin, so the pin didn't go in???
          If it is spray painted, it should come off with ant paint stripper, if it is tougher to remove....then it may have been dipped, or more professionally finished?
          It might be worth trying a small area with paint stripper to see what happens!!
          -Nigel
          sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

What is a bit strange to me: if you check the pin device, you'll see that at the hinge block that small section is silver as well as the lower part of the hinge block. It seems this badge was not sprayed but somehow sunk into the paint, am I wrong?

Comment

One would think that if this were sunk or dipped into paint, there would be evidence of pooling around the interior edges. This does not seem to be the case. It appears that the pin may have been covered and then the body sprayed. This can explain not only the relatively even and thin coating across the entire badge, but also the unusual lack of paint on most of the pin itself. Not dipped at all. The paint would be coated much thicker.

m.

Comment

Andrew,

This exact badge is shown on page 353 of the “Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen” book. So, it appears that your clasp is indeed according to this book, originally painted.

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

Not even the same badge.

Look at the hook on the one in the book and compare it to the clasp in this thread.

Wayne

Comment

You are correct, I did not take a close enough look at the hook. However having said that, the book illustrates that this badge was produced with a silver wash over the entire clasp overall. One step closer to determining the origins.

M.

Originally posted by bytown View Post
                    Not even the same badge.

Look at the hook on the one in the book and compare it to the clasp in this thread.

Wayne

Comment

Gents,

Thanks, I have decided to remove the paint, the more I touch the badge, the more silverish my fingers are... not a good sign, is it?

Andrew

Comment

Hello Andrew,
                        dip it into acetone for some minutes and I think you wil get a bronze ccc .

best regards
                        Pattex

Comment

Originally posted by novara View Post
                          Gents, I have finally succeeded, she is finally naked....
                          As expected ...

best regards
                          Pattex

Comment

Now we can discuss it being almost a golden version !
                            Always looking for 1957 issue Knights Cross & German Cross groups ....

Comment

Working...
                            X