FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assistence please with a ground dug Winchester Lever Action Carbin (1894?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistence please with a ground dug Winchester Lever Action Carbin (1894?)

Dear fellow collectors,

I would like to ask your assistence please. I am searching for the year / month of production of a Winchester Lever Action Carbin (New Model 94?) with the serial number 6,016,876 ( which, I found out after some research, is a high number ). Also recognizable are the letters “MOD... CA... made New Haven Conn... USA Winchester”.
    The carbin was found as you can see on the picture, washed out by the tide.
    It has the optional ring on the left side of the receiver for a carrying belt as the (18)94 model did and also the later New Model 94, the carbin has a smooth barrel so no octagon outer shape ( no 8 square shape ) so I assume it would be a New Model 94?
    Furthermore the wooden handrest / grip ( fore end ) has been carved or worked on in a groove pattern ( for better grip when wet maybe?)

Now I've visited about 7 or 8 sites with serial number info, with rows and rows of serial numbers but none of them has a serial number that starts with a 6, million(!) so that's a bit of a mystery, would that make it a fairly modern production or maybe an exported carbin, 6 maybe being the number for export for instance?
    Can anyone of you US weaponry collectors please help me out?

Thanks in advance for your answer, highly appreciated!
    Attached Files

pics a
    Attached Files

Comment

pics b.
      Attached Files

Comment

A modern day Model 94 (1894) Winchester. Probably dates to the mid 1990's.

Comment

O.k.! Thank you very much for the answer mr. Peppers.

Comment

I looked in a 33rd edition of the "Blue Book" which I think dates to 2012, and the last year they have for the 1894 is 1991, and the last serial number for that year was 6008296.

Comment

Well that 6,008,296 is a number near to the 6,016,876 and that is satisfying enough for me. In the meantime I did some more searching on the internet and learned that one detail to find out if it's an older or more recent Winchester is by looking at the position of the screws / pins in the receiver. I asked the owner for some pictures to verify and when I did get them I saw the screws / pins as they are to be found on a post 1964 model, in a straight line so all questions have been answered as far as possible, also thanks to you ... again thank you very much for your help!

Comment

... for some reason picture didn't upload, hope it does now.
                Attached Files

Comment

The pre-64 Model 94 had a screw in the front of the link (the part ahead of the lever that drops down when the action is opened) where it hinges on the cross pin, but the post 64 did not. The one shown does not have the screw.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X