Rare UDC Cross of Military Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare UDC Cross of Military Service

Found these rare Military Service Cross' of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) at the Montgomery, AL show this last weekend. What is most desirable are the three crosses were presented to Admiral James O. Richardson (1878-1974) a graduate of the Naval Academy in 1902. The medals were presented for service during the Span-Am War medal #39, the Philippine Insurrection #71 and World War One #46.

Admiral Richardson had an outstanding career leading to Command as CinC United States Fleet in 1939. This command included both the Scouting Force(Atlantic Fleet) and the Battle Force (Pacific Fleet). In 1940 the government without consulting senior military advisors decided to station the Fleet at Pearl Harbor. Admiral Richardson was vehemently against this idea having studied Japanese tactics knowing their ability to carry out surprise attacks. For not supporting the move to Pearl Harbor Admiral Richardson was fired and replaced by Admiral Kimmel.

The UDC presents their Cross of Military Service medals to lineal descendants of Confederate veterans. The Span-Am and P.I. medals are quite scarce. Medals for WWI and WWII are readily available while those for Korea and Vietnam are harder to find. All examples that include their numbered box are hard to find. The medal for the Global War on Terror are very difficult to find. My son was presented #107

Mike
    Attached Files
    Author of Under Arms for the Kaiser; Shoulder Insignia of the Imperial German Army's Regiments, 1871-1918.

The P.I. and WWI cross.

Mike
    Attached Files
    Author of Under Arms for the Kaiser; Shoulder Insignia of the Imperial German Army's Regiments, 1871-1918.

Comment

Superb pieces, Alan!
      I notice that the Philippine Cross and the WWI Cross each have devices on the ribbons. I seem to recall that this indicated actual service overseas, but I don't know for sure. Is that correct? Also, do you know who the Admiral's Confederate ancestor was?
      And, finally, my thanks to your son for his service to the nation!

Comment

Thanks Bill. The dolphin device does signify overseas service. The star on the PI medal I can't find info on. I am searching for the admiral's Confederate ancestor. He was from Paris, Texas. Also, I have attached a pic of the medal presented to my son for his service in Afghanistan.

Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X