Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USMC helmet cover.

Hi Guys.

I have seen tiis type of cover called a 1st pattern (by much respected collectors) and 2nd and 3rd pattern.

There is no stamped date.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Leeb
    Attached Files
    Mostly they come out at night-mostly

The pattern looks correct.

Comment

Pictures aren't that good, but I agree might be good, with post war added EGA stencil. I'm sure this comment will reignite a tiresome decades old debate about the EGA.

Chuck

Comment

USMC helmet cover.

Thanks guys.

Still unsure about what style of cover, 1st or 2nd?

Many thanks

Leeb

Comment

I have always known this type cover (w/o 16 buttonholes, no EGA, and no dates or markings) as the 1st type.

Chuck

Comment

USMC helmet cover.

Thanks Chuck.

Leeb

Comment

Originally posted by C. Roelens View Post
              Pictures aren't that good, but I agree might be good, with post war added EGA stencil. I'm sure this comment will reignite a tiresome decades old debate about the EGA.

Chuck
              You are welcome to present the documentation that varifies the EGA was only applied post-war.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                You are welcome to present the documentation that varifies the EGA was only applied post-war.
                The documentation has existed since the 40's. Show us one authentic "wartime" photograph of the EGA stenciled on a USMC camouflage helmet cover. You're the very person I was thinking of when I made that comment. If I remember correctly, you also claimed to have solid proof that the EGA was applied to the cover during the war. Yet, no one has ever seen it. I think it's time for you to put-up, or, shut-up. Unless you can present your evidence do not expect another reply from me. Like I said, tiresome...

Chuck

Comment

The documentation has existed since the 40's. Show us one authentic "wartime" photograph of the EGA stenciled on a USMC camouflage helmet cover. You're the very person I was thinking of when I made that comment. If I remember correctly, you also claimed to have solid proof that the EGA was applied to the cover during the war. Yet, no one has ever seen it. I think it's time for you to put-up, or, shut-up. Unless you can present your evidence do not expect another reply from me. Like I said, tiresome...

Chuck
                  You made a statement, so you back it up or shut-up. The documentation has existed where? If you have it present it, it's a simple request.

Comment

Good looking original ww2 no slit cover with post war added ega, a one looker👍🏻....mike

Comment

Chuck
                      Could not agree more...

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                        You made a statement, so you back it up or shut-up. The documentation has existed where? If you have it present it, it's a simple request.
                        it's a simple question with a very simple answer. You already have the documentation showing covers did not have emblems on them during WWII. So why are you asking for it?? Just go to your books on WWII featuring Marine operations in that war and you will find it. No authenticated pictures showing the emblem being worn then. There is your evidence.

You are asking for those who believe as Chuck and I there is no evidence to show that emblems were worn on the covers during WWII. It is a negative statement in so far as it states that something didn't happen. Absent proof to the contrary, e.g., that it DID happen, you can't prove otherwise.

Now, you say you have evidence of the emblems being worn on the covers during WWII. Now it's your turn. Show us the evidence. Otherwise, shut up!!

As Chuck said above, your claims without evidence to back them up are rather tiresome.

Steve
                        Last edited by Steve Sherlock; 08-04-2019, 10:47 PM.
                        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

USMC helmet cover.

Thanks guys.

Sorry to cause a rumpus.

Leeb

Comment

EGA covers

Hello,

Here is the earliest dated documented photo of one of the EGA stamped WWII helmet covers (large EGA style) I am aware of. It is from a fall 1953 class “annual” style book, which Marines were able to purchase after completing basic. It includes photos of each platoon, as well as daily life/training photos. The EGA photo is probably a stock photo and may show up in several different annuals for 1953. I have not been able to find any EGA stamped photos prior to 1953. I have quite a few family photos from WWII – through late Korea – none of the photos show EGA stamped covers being worn. My Father (1st Marines, 1st Mar. Div. - late Korea) my Uncle Frank (7th Marines, 1st Mar. Div. – Inchon, Seoul, Chosin Res., etc.), my Uncle Robert (FMF – WWII through interwar years).

IMO, there may have been some hand drawn EGAs on WWII covers during the war, done by individual Marines. However, to date, I do not believe anyone has come forward with an original picture of a stamped EGA helmet cover being worn during WWII. It will be very interesting to all of us USMC collectors if one surfaces. If you have one, please post it.

Thanks,
                            Paul
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ega

Large style EGA stamp on WWII cover (stamped post war).

Smaller style EGA stamp on WWII cover, with Semper Fi rocker at top (stamped post war).

I grew up in Barstow, CA home of the Marine Corps Logistics Base (Supply and Maintenance Installation).
                              I asked some of the old timers that used worked there about the EGA stamps, they had stamps there on base
                              they could use. They said they were done to WWII stock, post Korea, before the Blue Anchor covers were
                              manufactured in 1953 and probably delivered in 1954. One of the guys was a WWII vet too. I believed what
                              they said, since they had dealt with thousands of camo covers, camo jackets/pants, utilities, etc. Back then (1970s), the
                              local hardware store had a 55 gallon drum full of camo covers, which people would by for rags to work on their car, etc.

Paul
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TK GUY; 08-05-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X