Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Nice to see all these items are together.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff V
    replied
    As Owen said, "you are now the caretaker of this soldier's memory". Really nice display that you have done! The only thing I would add is a small picture of the marine.
    best wishes,
    jeff

Leave a comment:

• Spagg199th
    replied
    I'm late but have to chime in! Wow!!

Leave a comment:

• TK GUY
    replied
    Iwo

Congratulations - what an amazing grouping and piece of history you have now!
    Great job keeping the Marine's memory and sacrifice alive. Very nice that his family recognized your level of interest and care.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Tim O'Keefe
    replied
    Great piece of USMC history and research. This is what the WAF is all about

Semper Fi

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Michael Kuligowski
    replied
    awesome research and history !! How lucky You are that this cover made its way to Your collection....

Leave a comment:

• C. Roelens
    replied
    Oorah!!!

Leave a comment:

• WalterB
    replied
    Thank you for keeping the memory of this Marine alive!

Leave a comment:

• bobgee526
    replied
    Outstanding story! R.I.P. PFC Magoon. Semper Fi!

Leave a comment:

• kammo man
    replied
    Amazing items
    Very special
    You are the caretaker of this marines memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• theinglebaby23
    replied
    So pretty special follow up to this years-long story. I’ve stayed close with the family since we met. When Shirley (the sister-in-law I first talked to) passed away a couple months ago, she asked that all of Calvin’s medals be sent to me. Which obviously meant more than I could say. When the family went through her things, they found a few more items, to include the flag laid over his casket and the other items photographed. Silver Star and Purple Heart have his name etched on the underside.

All in all pretty touching. Been an absolutely amazing experience.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• theinglebaby23
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jean-Loup
    replied
    Graves registration were well aware that soldiers often exchanged items, and would normaly NOT make an identification based on named items of clothing only. However, sh!t happens, and I hear a victim of the recent Paris attacks was misidentified in similar circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• mark65.026
    replied
    Originally posted by Blacksmith Life View Post
    I am blessed to have several WWII Marines as friends, and one of them has a jacket he wore on Okinawa, which is not standard issue USMC. I asked him where he got it, and he told me that when they went to the rear, the field hospital kept an enormous pile of gear taken from evacuated wounded and KIAs. It was standard / accepted practice to replace worn / damaged gear by picking from the pile.

He relayed a story in which a wounded Marine was evacuated to a hospital ship. His dungaree jacket ended up on the pile, and was 'reissued' to another Marine. The second Marine sadly was KIA in the jacket, and identified only by the MCSN written in the jacket. This resulted in an erroneous KIA telegram being semt to the wounded Marine's family.

Chaos of war I guess...
    Indeed a terrible story for the family involved but an interesting source of information. I didn't know they did that. Learn't something new.

Regards Mark.

Leave a comment:

• Blacksmith Life
    replied
    Clothing pile

I am blessed to have several WWII Marines as friends, and one of them has a jacket he wore on Okinawa, which is not standard issue USMC. I asked him where he got it, and he told me that when they went to the rear, the field hospital kept an enormous pile of gear taken from evacuated wounded and KIAs. It was standard / accepted practice to replace worn / damaged gear by picking from the pile.

He relayed a story in which a wounded Marine was evacuated to a hospital ship. His dungaree jacket ended up on the pile, and was 'reissued' to another Marine. The second Marine sadly was KIA in the jacket, and identified only by the MCSN written in the jacket. This resulted in an erroneous KIA telegram being semt to the wounded Marine's family.

Chaos of war I guess...

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X