Iwo Jima Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is his citation:

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Private First Class Calvin G. Magoon (MCSN: 409234), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while serving as a Rifleman in a platoon of Company K, Third Battalion, Twenty-Fifth Marines, FOURTH Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces at Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, on 11 March 1945. With his platoon pinned down and suffering heavy casualties under a devastating barrage of enemy sniper and machine-gun fire emanating from a cave to his left front during an attack by his company north from Hill 382, Private First Class Magoon promptly solicited the aid of two members of his combat group and, on his own initiative, left his position of comparative safety and moved forward in a daring attempt to wipe out the emplacement. Subjected to intense sniper fire from the cave as he gained a favorable attack position, he deliberately exposed himself to draw the fire to himself and enable his companions to close in and destroy the strong point and its occupants with demolition charges. Fatally struck down during the furious action, Private First Class Magoon, by his daring initiative, inspiring leadership and selfless conduct in the face of tremendous odds, had contributed to the successful completion of his company's mission and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Found at http://valor.militarytimes.com/
    Currently Seeking:
    USMC EGA's
    Denazified LGAB
    USMC & TR Portraits

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
      Not as a souvenir. Rather, I suspect his grandfather picked it up to use in replacement of his own. I have a unit marked combat jacket issued to a platoon sergeant who was killed in Iwo Jima and the jacket was picked up and subsequently used by a former para marine who also served in Iwo Jima. I think that during a campaign, equipment of WIAs/KIAs that was still serviceable was collected and made available to the troops during (and perhaps after) the ongoing campaign.
      There's a morbid joke in the Marine infantry that goes "if you die first, we're going to split your gear"...so very well could have been the case
      Currently Seeking:
      USMC EGA's
      Denazified LGAB
      USMC & TR Portraits

Comment

His casualty card information:

Last Name
        MAGOON
        First Name
        CALVIN
        Middle Name
        GUSTAV
        Service Number
        Date of Casualty
        11-MAR-45
        Unit
        CO. K, 3 BN, 25 MARS, 4 MAR DIV,FMF
        Type of Casualty
        KIA
        Currently Seeking:
        USMC EGA's
        Denazified LGAB
        USMC & TR Portraits

Comment

Clothing pile

I am blessed to have several WWII Marines as friends, and one of them has a jacket he wore on Okinawa, which is not standard issue USMC. I asked him where he got it, and he told me that when they went to the rear, the field hospital kept an enormous pile of gear taken from evacuated wounded and KIAs. It was standard / accepted practice to replace worn / damaged gear by picking from the pile.

He relayed a story in which a wounded Marine was evacuated to a hospital ship. His dungaree jacket ended up on the pile, and was 'reissued' to another Marine. The second Marine sadly was KIA in the jacket, and identified only by the MCSN written in the jacket. This resulted in an erroneous KIA telegram being semt to the wounded Marine's family.

Chaos of war I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith Life View Post
            I am blessed to have several WWII Marines as friends, and one of them has a jacket he wore on Okinawa, which is not standard issue USMC. I asked him where he got it, and he told me that when they went to the rear, the field hospital kept an enormous pile of gear taken from evacuated wounded and KIAs. It was standard / accepted practice to replace worn / damaged gear by picking from the pile.

He relayed a story in which a wounded Marine was evacuated to a hospital ship. His dungaree jacket ended up on the pile, and was 'reissued' to another Marine. The second Marine sadly was KIA in the jacket, and identified only by the MCSN written in the jacket. This resulted in an erroneous KIA telegram being semt to the wounded Marine's family.

Chaos of war I guess...
            Indeed a terrible story for the family involved but an interesting source of information. I didn't know they did that. Learn't something new.

Regards Mark.

Comment

Graves registration were well aware that soldiers often exchanged items, and would normaly NOT make an identification based on named items of clothing only. However, sh!t happens, and I hear a victim of the recent Paris attacks was misidentified in similar circumstances.
              Autopsy of a Battle, the War in Southern France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrhUoRdsAQ

Comment

So pretty special follow up to this years-long story. I’ve stayed close with the family since we met. When Shirley (the sister-in-law I first talked to) passed away a couple months ago, she asked that all of Calvin’s medals be sent to me. Which obviously meant more than I could say. When the family went through her things, they found a few more items, to include the flag laid over his casket and the other items photographed. Silver Star and Purple Heart have his name etched on the underside.

All in all pretty touching. Been an absolutely amazing experience.
                Attached Files

Comment

Amazing items
                  Very special
                  You are the caretaker of this marines memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Outstanding story! R.I.P. PFC Magoon. Semper Fi!

Comment

Thank you for keeping the memory of this Marine alive!
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Oorah!!!

Comment

awesome research and history !! How lucky You are that this cover made its way to Your collection....

Comment

Great piece of USMC history and research. This is what the WAF is all about

Semper Fi

Tim

Comment

Iwo

Congratulations - what an amazing grouping and piece of history you have now!
                              Great job keeping the Marine's memory and sacrifice alive. Very nice that his family recognized your level of interest and care.

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X