oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lee Miller War Correspondent Unique M1 Helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Miller War Correspondent Unique M1 Helmet?

Hi,
    While online looking at some images of Man Ray's famous model turned US War Correspondent Lee Miller, who I think worked for Yank and was famously photographed bathing in Hitler's bathtub, I found this photo of her wearing a unique M1 Helmet. Apologies if this has been discussed on the forum before but, what is it? It's been painted to look like a Knights Helmet, with a lift up hinged front. Is this a particular War Correspondents pattern of helmet or a field modification? I can also assume the front section of the liner has been cut away! I can see the practicality of the pattern with camerawork etc, just wanted to know if this is a specific pattern or unique. Thanks for any info.
    Cheers,
    Rigsby.
    Attached Files

I don’t recall the exact nomenclature, but it is a special helmet designed for correspondents/photographers/camera operators. The visor was on a pivot that allowed it to be raised so the wearer could look through a viewfinder without removing the helmet.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the info, do you think it was manufactured in this way or converted before use? Wouldn't have thought it economically viable to manufacture for a small minority of service personnel. Still, a neat helmet!
      Cheers,
      Rigsby.

Comment

I am pretty sure they were manufactured this way. I have discovered that these helmets were called the T-14 photographer's helmet. A Google search for "wwii photographer's helmet" will give you lots of info and photos. BTW - the "vents" in the visor are painted on in this case. The real helmets did not have them. I think this was done as a joke in this case.

Comment

Here's a thread that shows a picture of her with the bill raised....Bodes

Comment

leemillerhelmet_zpsfd11c06c.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the info and link gents, very practical for photography in combat zone, despite being rather ugly with the front raised! Yes the Knight style vents look painted. I wonder where that lid is now? She married Rowland Penrose and settled down in East Sussex, Southern England post war. Her house is a museum, so maybe there! She must have had an amazing early life, hanging out with the surrealists. Lots of photos of her with the likes of Man Ray, Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali!
              Cheers,
              Rigsby

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X