Question about the sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the sword

Friend of mine sent me this pictures of the sword. Can someone help me with translation of the writing?
    Thank you
    Regards RD
    Attached Files

Any ideas?
    Thank you

Comment

I'm going to chime it to hopefully draw the attention of the guys who really know!

These kind are often faked, yet this one, to me, doesn't look fake. I've often been put off by the ugly styled kanji, but have been wrong each time. So, learning from my past, I'm leaning toward a legit, older blade that was cut down, shortened at some stage of its life, otherwise why would the carving (horimono) be going underneath where the habaki would sit?

If you don't hear from anyone soon, try a personal message (PM) to Guy, or Beater, or Sporter90.

Comment

I don't think that the signature is kanji,,,also any person polishing the nakago would destroy the value of the sword..

Comment

Wellllll ... the signature is kanji; but the fellah who ground down the nakago ought to be hanged, drawn, and quartered!

What I can make out is:
          豊州国行
          Hōshū (no) Kuni Yuki~ Sen ***
          Yuki sen of Hōshū no Kuni .... [made this]

or
          Hōshū Kuniyuki Sen ***
          Kuniyuki of Hōshū ....sen .... [made this]

I'm guessing at which is why I highlighted it.
          There was a swordsmith from Toyo Province who used "Kuniyuki" as part of his signature .... but there's no way for me to accurately reade this tang.
          Originally posted by Wiki
          Toyo Province (豊国 Toyo-no kuni) was an ancient province of Japan, in the area of Buzen and Bungo Provinces. The ancient entity was located in modern Ōita Prefecture and northeastern Fukuoka Prefecture. It was divided into Buzen and Bungo in 683. It was sometimes called Hōshū (豊州).

-- Guy

Comment

Thank you
            He bought it like that unfortunately

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            Wellllll ... the signature is kanji; but the fellah who ground down the nakago ought to be hanged, drawn, and quartered!

What I can make out is:
            豊州国行
            Hōshū (no) Kuni Yuki~ Sen ***
            Yuki sen of Hōshū no Kuni .... [made this]

or
            Hōshū Kuniyuki Sen ***
            Kuniyuki of Hōshū ....sen .... [made this]

I'm guessing at which is why I highlighted it.
            There was a swordsmith from Toyo Province who used "Kuniyuki" as part of his signature .... but there's no way for me to accurately reade this tang.

-- Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy! I even recognized the "国行", so thanks for helping out!

Rajko, any chance of seeing more of the blade? Full length pics, blade tip close-up?

Comment

The horimono is not of a style that I immediately recognize, will be interesting to see what's on the other side of the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                  The horimono is not of a style that I immediately recognize, will be interesting to see what's on the other side of the blade.
                  I've seen a similar style on a katana once back a few years ago. Though it was less tired than this poor blade. I'm guessing this was early Shinto that was o-suriage! Its a shame! Looks like the nakago was not only "cleaned" by the grinding, but the shape? I see the new hamachi from period shortening, but about an inch before that, the bubba hit it and reshaped it a little too.

Good thing your friend reached it when he did. Not sure if it would warrant it, but it can always be repatinated during a polish, but this definitely affects it. I wonder if its by power tools. If we could definitely see more pics, that would be a treat! But if the blade was hit with a power grinder or belt, then there is a possibility it would have gotten hot enough to destroy the hamon. But I dont really see any signs at present of that.

Comment

I will try to go by his house and get more pictures

Comment

He sent me few pics
                      I also asked him for the size too
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it was once a fine quality and long blade. I'm amazed the kissaki is in still such good condition considering the butchery of the nakago. Surprised too that there isn't horimono on the other side.
                          I guess it doesn't matter much now but it still hurts to see your mate laying the sword on rough stone to take the pics.

Comment

The whole sword is 27 inch, blade is 20 inch

Comment

The hori is worn down and is a archaic dragon wrapped around a sword.

Bill Rannow
                              Mpls, MN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X