HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fancy Cigarette Case - a special item or not really ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A local friend of mine is in possession of this rather colorful cigarette case. I can honestly say that I have never seen another one like it. Then again, I don't collect Japanese items...

He and I are both interested in general feedback on this item. Are these "colorized" cases common? Were they custom-made for important people or mass-produced for just about anybody to purchase?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to post a reply.
    Attached Files
    WANTED-TO-BUY: original SS shoulder-straps with chain-stitched letters JST, JSB, USL, USR or SKD. Singles or pairs.

Several more images taken in bright sunlight...
    Attached Files
    WANTED-TO-BUY: original SS shoulder-straps with chain-stitched letters JST, JSB, USL, USR or SKD. Singles or pairs.

Comment

Cloisonné enamel case & not military. Could be a souvenir from occupation or earlier

Comment

Chinese ?

It has been suggested that this cigarette case may actually be of Chinese origin, not Japanese. Is there any substance to that conjecture? Interested in more comments, please!

Comment

Chinoiserie, very popular in England in the 18th. century and then again around the 1890's-1900's. when it was mostly anything Japanese. I would think it dates to the later period.
          Pete

Comment

With the dragon having 3 toes it may be Japanese.

Comment

Doesn't look cloisonné enamel. Looks like it is painted. There is a lot of wear where the copper is showing through the colors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X