Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another ww2 used sword

Hi,
    thought I would share another of my ww2 used swords this one is particularly nice as it is circa 1350 it must have belonged to a high ranking officer with Samuri ancestors as I assume that it is a hand down over the generations the mon I believe is Nakano so due to the size of the sword it is a lot bigger and wider that most shingunto mounted ww2 swords it it my imo have once belonged to
    Hidemitsu Nakano who's father was a former Samuri there is a photo of him with a sword that could be it. sword is Bizen opinion on the smith is Bishu Osafune Ju Yoshikage.
    Thanks and any input is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on finding such a wonderful converted naginata sword. If only it could speak!

Regards,

Kevin.

Comment

Hi,
            I'm sure it has seen many battles down through the centuries until it's final surrender at the end of ww2.
            Mark

Comment

what size is it?

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                what size is it?
                Curious as well, looks like a pretty impressive size Nagamaki naoshi. Surprised that it only has one mekugi-ana.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan09 View Post
                  Curious as well, looks like a pretty impressive size Nagamaki naoshi. Surprised that it only has one mekugi-ana.
                  The tang was shortened. The cutting edge was moved up. So it may or may not have another ana, but we'll never know.

Comment

Wow, Beautiful blade. It has obviously had a good home. Everything I find lately looks like someone used it to chop firewood.

Comment

Hi,
                      Its obvious someone treasured this sword down through the centuries imo it stayed in the same family and at the beginning of ww2 it had its specially made fitting for it made,it is a monster of a blade I will take some better photos and a full tang close up for you, The nagasa is nearly 27in long.
                      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                        The tang was shortened. The cutting edge was moved up. So it may or may not have another ana, but we'll never know.
                        Looking back I didn't realize that shear size of this. I'm guessing originally the naginata was at least 30" long and the nakago would have been at least 2 feet long.

Truly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan09 View Post
                          Looking back I didn't realize that shear size of this. I'm guessing originally the naginata was at least 30" long and the nakago would have been at least 2 feet long.

Truly impressive.
                          I’m thinking it was made as a sword in shinogi-zukuri (think of “Kogarasu Maru” except with a normal kisaki).
                          http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/un...bi-zukuri.html
                          Last edited by GHP; 08-20-2019, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                            Hi,
                            Its obvious someone treasured this sword down through the centuries imo it stayed in the same family and at the beginning of ww2 it had its specially made fitting for it made,it is a monster of a blade I will take some better photos and a full tang close up for you, The nagasa is nearly 27in long.
                            Mark
                            27" cutting edge is not particularly long. Most Shin-gunto are about 26.5". Maybe the blade is extra wide and thick?

Comment

Hi,
                              tried to take some better photos the blade is 28in from tip to tusuba a lot deeper and thicker than my standard size ww2 Shingunto hope the photos portray it better.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X