Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help To Identify An Officer's Gunto

Hello friends!

I'm new here in the forum, and first of all I'd like to apologize for my bad english.

Recently I found this Gunto in an auction and bought it. I did some research and found Mr. Ohmura's website and I believe the copy I bought is very similar to the model he portrays as "Zōhei-tō" ( Kokura Arsenal's blade for officers).

Could anyone give more information about this? Seems real?

Thiago,

Very good research, my friend!!! And quite an interesting find! I agree with you. Ohmura felt these were made as a "formal sword", as he distinguishes between swords made for dress and those made for combat. A "dress sword" is something one would wear for dinner, or at the office, in your fancy uniforms, etc.

I will have to add that "se" inspection mark to my Stamps document.

Comment

I do not see thiago's image ....

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
        I do not see thiago's image ....

--Guy
        Guy, are you using an iphone? I've had that happen before on my phone, but when I use my tablet, I can see them. I'm reposting to see if that helps:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          Guy, are you using an iphone? I've had that happen before on my phone, but when I use my tablet, I can see them. I'm reposting to see if that helps:

No Bruce, I'm on my desktop using a Mac. I see the images you've posted, though. Many thanks!

--Guy

Comment

I've owned maybe a half dozen of these over the years. These all had the same mounts, pierced tsuba, smooth scabbard, I don't recall on seppa count or really cared, grooved arsenal blade that was stamped, etc. I did notice that the blade lengths were not consistent like Mantetsu-to, IIRC I've had them range from 25" to 27". You can often find these swords in very nice condition.

Comment

Sorry for the late post, but I agree! I've heard stories that these Kokura Arsenal blades were made as a predecessor to the Type 95 NCOs, but makes more sense considering what they are and how the disburse looks as if it were a higher grade. But considering the amount of oil tempered blades produced and the fact this was made by an arsenal, I would have almost thought this with be in issued piece (ie, enlisted NCOs) but of course officers were expected to buy their own gear, swords and pistols (like all variations of Nambus?) included, and of course most pistols available for purchase were either imported, domestic,or arsenal made. I just regret not buying one from a show that a dealer selling as he was selling that and the Nanbokucho blade and gendaito that I bought, all for the same prices.

Comment

Working...
              X