Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jap. Flag for translation, weird stamps

Hi All,
    I believe it is a real one but I have never seen the red stamps like that.
    Thanks in advance,
    Terry
    Attached Files
    Terry Keller
    "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
    Rammstein

more
    Attached Files
    Terry Keller
    Rammstein

Comment

again
      Attached Files
      Terry Keller
      Rammstein

Comment

last
        Attached Files
        Terry Keller
        Rammstein

Comment

Hello Terry,

Red stamps are usually shrine stamps (hanko) but are not of that shape. If you run a search of the word you'll find examples of period authentic stampings. I believe a number are also shown on the flags posted in the pinned thread on kanji/slogans.

I hope the translation reveals an authentic flag if you have money in the flag but I have my doubts. The orientation of the tabs, the red stamps and the writing all leave me with concerns.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=217287

Comment

Bob,
                I used the appropriate abbreviation for the word Japanese which is Jap.
                I don't understand what I did wrong?
                Terry
                Terry Keller
                Rammstein

Comment

Thanks
                  Terry Keller
                  Rammstein

Comment

Or you can just use JPN? It is not that hard to spell the whole word out anyways.

Seems like the words are from the same handwriting. Not sure if it is suppose to be that way.

Comment

hc8mm,
                      I use many shorted forms of different countries, etc. Never out of disrespect
                      I was told on this form that Jap. was ok before. I don't spell out almost any of our states either.
                      Terry Keller
                      Rammstein

Comment

The term "Jap" is considered to be a very negative term towards individuals of Japanese ancestry. It was used extensively even before the war in California by the Hearst newspapers in a negative and racist matter. It of course escalated during the war. For those of us with Japanese families, it is insulting and goes back to the days when law biding citizens were placed in American concentration camps. As a comparison, it is like using the "n" word towards an individual of African decent.

Comment

Regarding the flag: look up "Tojo flag" using the search function and you will find plenty of information on these types of flags. Quick answer, period banner made to fool / be traded as a souvenir. Not an actual good luck flag.

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                            The term "Jap" is considered to be a very negative term towards individuals of Japanese ancestry. It was used extensively even before the war in California by the Hearst newspapers in a negative and racist matter. It of course escalated during the war. For those of us with Japanese families, it is insulting and goes back to the days when law biding citizens were placed in American concentration camps. As a comparison, it is like using the "n" word towards an individual of African decent.
                            Hi Bob
                            This is very interesting, I knew about the camps, over here the German and Italians were sent to the Isle of Man. But I didn't know about the pre war California newspapers. Why did Hearst not like the Japanese people? Was the dislike all over the states?
                            Regards
                            Frank

Comment

I for one feel sorry for you mate. A simple slip up brings heaven and earth down
                              on you. I for one grew up with Aussie kids of the time and a uncle veteran of the New Guinea campaign amongst others that never ever ever referred to the Japanese soldier in any other term than - - - in my entire childhood growing up. While I understand and comply with the respectful term Japanese I feel strongly that those so against the abbrieviated term never spent any time growing up with the Aussie veterans that fought them in the New Guinea campaign. They earn the right to call the Japananese any term that they saw fit. And they did. No malice as u respect them. Just the facts. Johnno.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X