Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then the same thing awarded on April 29th, 1940 now without the emperor's blessing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Likewise a Sacred Treasure 3rd class from 1915 with Emperor Taisho signing
      Attached Files

Comment

And here the same from 1932, which does not have the emperor's signature, which made me realize that somehow I've missed a transition step between 1915 and 1932. So 3rd class awards were excluded from the emperor's "in-tray" somewhere inbetween. A 1939 3rd Class Sacred Treasure citation I have also lacks the signature. Wait, a Rising Sun 3rd class citation from 1913 is missing the signature, too, but the 1916 version of the same has it again! I don't know what happened, but it's like hearing the sputtering of an engine dying.
        Taken all together, the evidence I have now says 3rd class signatures crashed between 1916 and 1932. What makes sense to me now is that they dropped it when Hirohito became Regent to cover for his father, as I see 2nd Class citations with double signatures, but not any 3rd classes. They must have done this to ease the burden.

PS. Jump to post 27 for the solution to this mystery
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Nick Komiya; 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Anway, from 1940, Hirohito would only sign these and above, plus the Golden Kite 1st and 2nd classes. Here a Sacred Treasure 1st Class from 1931 with Hirohito signing.
          Attached Files

Comment

And a Rising Sun 1st Class again signed by Hirohito in 1934
            Attached Files

Comment

After WW2, The Official Formats Act was abolished on May 3rd, 1947, so though the emperor still signs the citations for 1st class and above, it is no longer a practice dictated by law.

THE END

I hope you found this research interesting. The official English translations for the names of Edicts and Acts I referred to were not available at this time, so they are my translations and looking them up by name probably would not produce results. When I find out I'll update this thread. The same applies to the precise timing of the disapearance of emperor signatures from 3rd class documents.

I already wrote another one of these research articles a year ago on Army Pay books, but have been too lazy to photograph all the pictures necessary to get it up here. That will follow when I have more time.
              Last edited by Nick Komiya; 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Great work Nick! Very interesting write up. Thanks.

Comment

i suppose once in a while, we can use something other than the usual “what’s this?”, “what does it say?”, “what’s it worth?” business.

AMEN to that Nick! Great post btw.
                  Scott

Comment

Nick, thankyou for taking the time to educate us! This is one aspect of the hobby that I personally find most interesting - learning from those that can not only translate the language, but can also unravel some intricacies and details that would otherwise be lost to interested collectors, and bringing new meaning and understanding to some of these items. Great job!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Excellent post! I appreciate the time and effort--and I learned a lot.
                      I have one question only related to your topic in an ancillary way... I noticed the 1874 War Medal document. (What a treasure! Perhaps rarer than the actual medal.) Any information about how many of these medals were awarded? I know that Peterson mentioned that 3000 samurai were dispatched. Did other people also receive this medal? (Sorry if this is off topic.)
                      Cheers,
                      Rich

Comment

The actual number of the Japanese troops sent to Taiwan was 3568. Most accounts round this up to 3600. Of that number there were 531 deaths, so the number of medals given out would have been just slightly over 3000, I think.

Comment

Now the mystery over the disapearance of the emperor's signature from 3rd class order citations is solved. Edict number 145 issued on April 26, 1921 says at the very end, which is why I missed it before, the Act is revised so that the emperor's signature will only be affixed to Orders 2nd Class and above and for Golden Kites 3rd Class and above. However, as we have already seen, the practice probably preceded this amendment. So my guess was right that the change occured when Hirohito was forced to sign on his father's behalf as Regent.

Comment

Correction

What I described as realistic-looking chrysanthemums in post 5, upon closer inspection, turned out to be a cluster of cherry blossoms as obvious in the wreath comparison.

Comment

THANK YOU NICK!!! This info is golden! A great post

Comment

That is some very interesting research. Thank you for posting this Nick.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X