japanese dagger dirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

japanese dagger dirk

can anyone tell me what kind of dagger this is. It is about 20 inch long.

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20210114-WA0006.jpgIMG-20210114-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210114-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210114-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210114-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20210114-WA0008.jpgIMG-20210114-WA0010.jpg
    Attached Files

Fuller, pg 190, calls it a version 2 of the Mounted Police short sword. Attaching a picture. Looks like the rounded ends of the guard were cut off on yours.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would be very leery of this police sword. It most certainly has been reworked at best. As Bruce points out the guard has been cut as well as the pommel to eliminate the attachment of a leather knot. The end of the scabbard has also been reworked to remove the drag. Three strikes and you are out with me. Not for my collection.

Sorry about the bad news.

Comment

Might just be a repro

Comment

BruceP - isn't the Leather wrapped handle a give away that it is a fake?

Comment

I think you are absolutely right schupo
            I took a closer look you can still clearly see where the guard was grinded off, also at the pommel you can still see marks where it was, I do not think it is fake/repro but it is reworked.

Knipsel 1972.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by marc2 View Post
              I think you are absolutely right schupo
              I took a closer look you can still clearly see where the guard was grinded off, also at the pommel you can still see marks where it was, I do not think it is fake/repro but it is reworked.

Knipsel 1972.JPG
              Okay, a reworked, made in India, fake. Sounds about right

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
                BruceP - isn't the Leather wrapped handle a give away that it is a fake?
                Fuller states in the posted picture "Brass hilt mounts and black leather grip."

Comment

I was bothered by the look of the blade tip, but the one in Dawson, pg 306, has a similar shape. Dawson also says the grip is leather.

It looks like it was probably something in bad shape, and someone "fixed it up."
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is what this particular Police sword should look like. There are two proper styles of this sword, one with a circle on the back-strap ears and one without. As stated in the book, this circle motif only appears on Police swords. I think this is why many collectors believe the rifles marked with a circle on the receiver is an indication of police issue. At any rate leather grips are OK on these swords which were worn by Patrolmen and NCOs.

The sword under discussion does not comply with the norm in very many ways.

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X