FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese flag from Guam that made the Japanese news !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese flag from Guam that made the Japanese news !

Here is something quite special,
    this flag was bought back from the island of Guam during WW2 by Edward Foster who was a member of the third Marine division. Foster is pictured holding the flag with a Japanese translator.

The flag was Sent back to Japan and featured in the 1995 newspaper to try and find the dead soldiers family. Unfortunately no one came forward so the flag was returned to a friend.

It now proudly sits in a a museum quality frame displayed in my room for future generations to enjoy

I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I do.

history in hand

Attached Files

Great story! Thanks for posting......

MikeB

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
      Great story! Thanks for posting......

MikeB

Thanks Mike B

Comment

It's interesting that the flag was sent back after the family could not be found. One organization in particular states that flags will not be given back, even if families cannot be found.

Mike

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
            It's interesting that the flag was sent back after the family could not be found. One organization in particular states that flags will not be given back, even if families cannot be found.

Mike
            the mailing address envelope that it was sent back in was actually his friends. Inside is the Letter in rice paper and a document from a Japanese university with full translation. Maybe it went to the university in Japan and they helped with finding them.

lucky it did come back ! When the flags can’t go back to their family’s they stay In boxes uncared for and not displayed in Japan, I've heard stories of hundreds of boxes full of flags never seeing the light of day.

Comment

I'm pretty familiar with those stories...........

MikeB

Comment

[QUOTE=MikeB;n11945791]I'm pretty familiar with those stories...........

MikeB[/QU

Comment

Regarding the reparation of wartime items, the only one capable of doing so is the Ministry of Health and Welfare in Japan. They have access to vast private records that nobody else in the world has. Other organizations claiming to do so are just taking people's items and then acting as an intermediary for said ministry. I have personally dealt with the Ministry of Health and Welfare for returning some things, very professional, they speak English, was a great experience.

Comment

Does the Ministry return items when they are unable to find an item's former family member?

MikeB

Comment

They don't even accept items if they are unable to return them. They only take the items provided a relative is located and the relative actually expresses desire in it being returned to them.

Comment

That's a great looking flag and display. I Love Hinomaru no Yosegaki and everything about Japanese History and culture! But, I am personally torn when it comes to returning them to Japan. I would give up any one of my flags, if it were to go to a family member of its original owner. That I believe is the right thing to do. Its a loving gesture and could bring spiritual peace and healing to another human being. That's what its all about! I could not bear the thought of them sitting in boxes and being unappreciated for generations, if family could not be found. I would rather enjoy the flag in my collection where it can be displayed and enjoyed by many. I currently have over 125 flags in my collection. I am just the temporary keeper of these flags, as after I am gone they will find someone new who is going to appreciate and care for them properly.

PG-
                        Last edited by Paul G; 11-28-2020, 10:22 AM.
                        " Stay low boys, it's going to get hot in here "
                        In Search of Nambu Type 14 blued magazines # 047,195,981 and nickel magazines # 481,872

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                          That's a great looking flag and display. I Love Yosegaki Hinomaru and everything about Japanese History and culture! But, I am personally torn when it comes to returning them to Japan. I would give up any one of my flags, if it were to go to a family member of its original owner. That I believe is the right thing to do. Its a loving gesture and could bring spiritual peace and healing to another human being. That's what its all about! I could not bear the thought of them sitting in boxes and being unappreciated for generations, if family could not be found. I would rather enjoy the flag in my collection where it can be displayed and enjoyed by many. I currently have over 125 flags in my collection. I am just the temporary keeper of these flags, as after I am gone they will find someone new who is going to appreciate and care for them properly.

PG-
                          True words Paul,
                          As collectors I know we all truly care for the items we caretake.
                          Got to be better than the Bin or a box

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Fantastic. Johnno.

Comment

Wonderful piece of history... thanks for sharing!

Jelle

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X