Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for advice for a nice Katana

Dear collectors,
    I would like to buy any nice Katana for my son who loves Japanese culture. Is it realistic to get one for max. 300€ (any period)? It is just about him having something old from Japan to admire in a showcase. As I don´t know anything in this field I´d be glad for any advice. Perhaps someone even has an offer to make or knows good vendors where to buy- preferably in Europe in order to avoid trouble with customs etc... Thanks in advance,

Hi
    It is possible to buy a Japanese sword for 300€ , if you could stretch your budget to 400-600 you can find Type 95 Gunto (NCO) on dealers sites

Comment

I don't know the European market, but in the USA, you can find dress/parade sword for that price, but fighting swords like Type 95, 97, 98 start at $900 and go up.

Comment

Hi thanks for the quick responses. I´ll start checking the net and of course our forum for such offers.

Comment

How desirable is a new real sword handcrafted by a Japanese sword smith with certificate? I found some like that one (link below). It surely is very decorative and somehow historically correct?- or bull****? May I ask for your opinions on this alternative?

https://www.schwertshop.de/katana-de...rt-kobuse.html

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
            I don't know the European market, but in the USA, you can find dress/parade sword for that price, but fighting swords like Type 95, 97, 98 start at $900 and go up.
            I think the o.r.k.'s son wants a sword that looks Japanese, I agree dress/parade swords costs less, As for "handcrafted by a Japanese sword smith" for 259 euro, is a waste of money

Comment

Where in Germany are you? You could try https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

Comment

Hi Phrosias, thanks for the link- I scrolled the offers and there are quite a few nice offers but with high fees and VAT to ad- I´ll take my time checking. Thanks for the advice on the exaggerated price of new replica handcrafted swords. I saw that in Japan you get them for half the price (but then the customs might ba a problem). I live near Berlin.

Comment

Try ebay for a Chinese made replica ,

Comment

Yes, I have seen Chinese replicas starting at $150 USD.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your kind help. I checked the different qualities starting with the mentioned Chinese replikas and educated myself a bit. I hope I got it all right. There are so called `real swords´ that are made traditionally, meaning they are made of high or low carbon steel (the originals have both components). If folded correctly (several times) they get a real Hamon line. The sword must have a Mekukui (Blade reaches into the handle). It should be clayed in the process of making and in best of cases even is made according to an ancient original. I saw such swords with a blacksmith warranty from 220€ upwards. Would you say this is a good alternative (as it should just be a little gift but somehow close to the real Mc Coy).

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
                        Thanks a lot for your kind help. I checked the different qualities starting with the mentioned Chinese replikas and educated myself a bit. I hope I got it all right. There are so called `real swords´ that are made traditionally, meaning they are made of high or low carbon steel (the originals have both components). If folded correctly (several times) they get a real Hamon line. The sword must have a Mekukui (Blade reaches into the handle). It should be clayed in the process of making and in best of cases even is made according to an ancient original. I saw such swords with a blacksmith warranty from 220€ upwards. Would you say this is a good alternative (as it should just be a little gift but somehow close to the real Mc Coy).
                        Hello
                        If your happy with a replica, how old is your child? If it was me, I would keep my 300 euro and put it towards a holiday in Japan, thats something you can share with your family they will never forget it.Japanese culture has so much to offer but you need to visit Japan to get a glimpse of it.

Comment

Well, no more a child- he is 24 and a police officer... : ) Since childhood he has had that special emotional link to Japan. He went there on holiday with his fiancee last year. He´s not a collector or Samurai sword expert and was frustrated as he couldn ´t buy a (new) traditional Cabuto due to the customs and transport problems,so I just wanted to have a nice little present for my next visit. I underestimated the price of the (20. century) Guntos. So now I simply go for a nice replica of an old sword with a nice guard and showing the classical feautures of a Japanese sword. With all your advice I can now try to balance my planned budget sensibly to what I can get for it. It was very interesting to learn so much about these swords and having looked into the field of collecting Japanese items and thanks again to all of you for your kind help.

Comment

This katana looks decent quality for the price and it's in Germany plus you get Amazon's buyer protection.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DerShogun...sports&sr=1-13

Comment

Thanks Ben, great Reviews and a real Hamon Line. Looks great and seems to be useful to quite some degree, too.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X