Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Kanji marked flag with shrine stamps

Hey there,

Someone local to me it selling this Kanji marked Japanese flag and before I make any moves I’d like to get the opinion of you guys on here. Do we think this a legit Imperial era flag? Do we think the kanji is legit? The shrine stamps?

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Oh, and the seller is asking $270 USD for it.

your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Comment

宮幤大社横田神社
      Kanpei Taisha Hirota Jinja

Hirota Shrine link

Originally posted by wiki

In 1871, the Kanpei-sha (官幣社) identified the hierarchy of government-supported shrines most closely associated with the imperial family.[5] The kampeisha were shrines venerated by the imperial family. This category encompasses those sanctuaries enshrining emperors, imperial family members, or meritorious retainers of the Imperial family.
      Imperial shrines, 1st rank

The most highly ranked Imperial shrines or Kanpei-taisha (官幣大社) encompassed 67 sanctuaries.
      The current list of 1st Class Shrines.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
        宮幤大社横田神社
        Kanpei Taisha Hirota Jinja

Hirota Shrine link

The current list of 1st Class Shrines.
        Thanks GHP!

So overall does this look like a good example of a ‘good luck flag to you’?

Comment

I'll have to look at it some more. I'm not sure it's worth that much money, though. Better for you to wait for one of the resident experts. I'm in a meeting now, but will look at the various writing later.

-- Guy

Comment

I'll have to look at it some more. I'm not sure it's worth that much money, though. Better for you to wait for one of the resident experts. I'm in a meeting now, but will look at the various writing later.

-- Guy
            Thanks Guy! your input is always really appreciated. I look forward to hearing what more you have to say and what others think. The nice thing about this piece, if its legit, is that its in Canada. That would save me some shipping costs.

Comment

I'm not certain of its authenticity; I am not an expert. There are certain factors that bother me, such as many of the names seem (to me) to be in the same hand. But maybe everybody was just very neat. Usually you find all sorts of different styles of "penmanship" on yosegaki flags.

Shrine stamp reads top-bottom, right-left:

宮幤大社
              横田神社
              Kanpei Taisha
              Hirota Jinja

Main heading, right margin:
              壮行
              Sōkō
              Send-off

為 賀来慶二君
              Zō Kaku Keiji-kun
              For: Mr. Kaku Keiji

Bottom:
              米英撃滅
              Bei-Ei Geki-metsu
              Defeat the United States and Britain
              But he modified the US/UK kanji with 犭 (the "animal" radical) and made it
              Animal-Americans and Animal-English: "犭米" and "犭英"

Poem on left half:
              み民吾生ける志るしあり
              風光る
              Mitami ware ikeru shirushi ari
              Kaze hikaru

I'm no poet!!! Possibly similar to this:
              As a subject, living my life of resolve
              Like the wind blowing through the Spring Sunshine

吾 is another form for 我 meaning I/our and has the same sound "ware" [wah-ray]
              志 might be used for its sound "shi" to match shirushi [shee-roo-shee]

The above poem was more than likely pirated [and changed some words] from "100 Patriotic Poems" postcard
              み民吾生けるしるしあり天地の栄ゆる時にあへらく思へば
              Mitami ware ikeru shirushi ari amatsuchi no eiyuru toki ni aeraku omoeba.

Translation supplied from link:
              Oh, I am so fainーIt is the height of delightーIn this glorious reign To live and enjoy the sight Of all so prosperous, bright.

And THAT poem seem to rely on a poem from Tenpyo 6th year [734]:
               御民我(みたみわれ) 生ける験(しるし)あり 天地(あめつち)の 時に あへらく思へば
              Mitame ware ikeru shirushi ari ametsuchi no toki aeraku omoeba.

In other words, he praised the emperor's virtues and said, "Life is worth living."

Sorry, but that's all I could do. I still cannot advise you whether you should or should not to buy the flag.

-- Guy

Comment

I'm not certain of its authenticity; I am not an expert. There are certain factors that bother me, such as many of the names seem (to me) to be in the same hand. But maybe everybody was just very neat. Usually you find all sorts of different styles of "penmanship" on yosegaki flags.

Shrine stamp reads top-bottom, right-left:

宮幤大社
                横田神社
                Kanpei Taisha
                Hirota Jinja

Main heading, right margin:
                壮行
                Sōkō
                Send-off

為 賀来慶二君
                Zō Kaku Keiji-kun
                For: Mr. Kaku Keiji

Bottom:
                米英撃滅
                Bei-Ei Geki-metsu
                Defeat the United States and Britain
                But he modified the US/UK kanji with 犭 (the "animal" radical) and made it
                Animal-Americans and Animal-English: "犭米" and "犭英"

Poem on left half:
                み民吾生ける志るしあり
                風光る
                Mitami ware ikeru shirushi ari
                Kaze hikaru

I'm no poet!!! Possibly similar to this:
                As a subject, living my life of resolve
                Like the wind blowing through the Spring Sunshine

吾 is another form for 我 meaning I/our and has the same sound "ware" [wah-ray]
                志 might be used for its sound "shi" to match shirushi [shee-roo-shee]

The above poem was more than likely pirated [and changed some words] from "100 Patriotic Poems" postcard
                み民吾生けるしるしあり天地の栄ゆる時にあへらく思へば
                Mitami ware ikeru shirushi ari amatsuchi no eiyuru toki ni aeraku omoeba.

Translation supplied from link:
                Oh, I am so fainーIt is the height of delightーIn this glorious reign To live and enjoy the sight Of all so prosperous, bright.

And THAT poem seem to rely on a poem from Tenpyo 6th year [734]:
                 御民我(みたみわれ) 生ける験(しるし)あり 天地(あめつち)の 時に あへらく思へば
                Mitame ware ikeru shirushi ari ametsuchi no toki aeraku omoeba.

In other words, he praised the emperor's virtues and said, "Life is worth living."

Sorry, but that's all I could do. I still cannot advise you whether you should or should not to buy the flag.

-- Guy
                Thank you so much Guy. Your abilities are really appreciated. I’m really torn on this flag. Its good we know the Kanji actually says stuff that is fitting of a ‘good luck flag’ but I see what you mean, its hard to tell whether the names are all written by the same hand or not.

maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion.

Comment

The seller sent a number of close up photos of the small Kanji: same hand, different hands, good, bad?

Love to know what you guys think.

Attached Files

Comment

All I can tell is that he photographed the flag from behind. I think it’s fairly clear which side is front based on the ink: thick on the front and fuzzy /faint on the rear.

Maybe he has something to hide?????

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X