X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUNTO 1934 first model?

hi
    thank you to identify this gunto
    it's look like first model but with the chrome blade and the chrome scabbard I have never seen that
    cordially
    ced

gun1.jpg

hi
    no one?
    thank's
    cdlt
    cedric

Comment

Cedric,
      Just saw your post. This one is a little edgy. I'd love to hear Stegel's opinion on it. The stamping and tsuka look good, as well as the workmanship of the tsuba, but the bohi doesn't look right for a Kokura (Tokyo) blade. Numbers look ok, but there's no evidence of a "TO" inspector mark by the number. The end of the saya is rounded whereas the Kokura saya are almost squared off (exapmle posted). There have been several swords found with chrome that we're pretty sure were done post-war. I know the Japanese expericmented with chrome on officer swords for a short time, but I've not heard of it being done on NCO gunto.

I could be wrong on all the above, but my but says a piece-together job, all post-war, even all real WWII parts, but not originally assembled like this.

If Stegel doesn't chime in, you might try a PM to him, which will send your message directly to him via email.

Comment

Attached Files
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
          Cedric,
          Just saw your post. This one is a little edgy. I'd love to hear Stegel's opinion on it. The stamping and tsuka look good, as well as the workmanship of the tsuba, but the bohi doesn't look right for a Kokura (Tokyo) blade. Numbers look ok, but there's no evidence of a "TO" inspector mark by the number. The end of the saya is rounded whereas the Kokura saya are almost squared off (exapmle posted). There have been several swords found with chrome that we're pretty sure were done post-war. I know the Japanese expericmented with chrome on officer swords for a short time, but I've not heard of it being done on NCO gunto.

I could be wrong on all the above, but my but says a piece-together job, all post-war, even all real WWII parts, but not originally assembled like this.

If Stegel doesn't chime in, you might try a PM to him, which will send your message directly to him via email.
          Bruce
          You are right, this one is tricky.​​​​​​I think the 東 mark is there, just covered by chrome. The first 2 number is too big. The handle screw ends it incorrectly. The scabbard is not for Tokyo 95, even if it's real, but it doesn't look legit. This version copy seems always has 飯島 mark.
          Overall, I could be wrong, but I think this one it's not the original 95.
          Attached Files

Comment

hi
            thank's
            the number of the the scabbard is not the same
            it's chromed
            cordially
            ced
            GUN15.jpg
            Last edited by CED13000; 11-15-2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CED13000 View Post
              hi
              thank's
              the number of the the scabbard is not the same
              it's chromed
              cordially
              ced
              GUN15.jpg
              OK, from what the photo shows the scabbard is for Nagoya Type 95, maybe is good, at least the throat is legit. Can you post a photo of the tip of the blade?

Comment

??
                the photo of the tip of the blade is already there, look at photo 7

Comment

Here’s his shot enlarged. Not a very clear pic though.
                  Attached Files

Comment

06510BDB-AD5D-4343-9DE6-C99BA7CE3E2B.jpeg 06510BDB-AD5D-4343-9DE6-C99BA7CE3E2B.jpeg

Comment

Bruce and BangBangSan have summed it up good.
                      The subcontractor is correct for the serial number range, the scabbard is Nagoya - although the drag appears suspect. I wouldn't call the rest of the scabbard fake just yet as i have seen drag combs that vary in appearance, especially with Nagoya.
                      I believe this to be genuine and mismatched, the chrome plating masks the detail in the tip making it difficult to judge.
                      Type 95's that have been chromed are not all that common, i've come across just under a dozen examples all up . Some are well done and others are not so good.
                      If you are going to buy it, then i wouldn't pay top price obviously, perhaps wait and see if you can pick something up that is in better shape and preferably matching.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                      X