Try to Learn .One pocket Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to Learn .One pocket Tunic

Good evening gents i am trying to learn and there aren't really many reference books out there for collecting japanese stuff.

I saw this tunic it only has one pocket .Is it correct and if so why has it only one pocket , late war etc or what.I know my helmets and head wear but the rest of the stuff i need to learn about and that's what i am trying to do.Its obvious tropical and looks right colour and buttons etc , so what else should i look for in a tunic

Graeme
    Attached Files
    "Broadsword calling Danny boy , Broadsword calling Danny boy" youve got to love that film

Tunics and jackets with various pocket configurations have been observed. It could be home front battle wear, drill, or general purpose. I assume this tunic does not have the bayonet frog/belt loop? It depends on what you are trying to do with your collecting theme. Standard uniforms and equipment (and recognized "end of war"/home front material) seem to be more collectible for Japanese than the oddities and or questionable pieces that are found.

Comment

My very first tunic was one like it with collar tabs that has no wool backings. It has the Army markings but no model type stamp above. Only many years later that I found out it was a Prisoner of War Tunic reading Mike Hewitt’s book, “Uniforms and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II”.

I’ve always wondered if these were the types given to prisoners that were only sent to mainland Japan’s POW camps?
      Last edited by RodneyO; 11-09-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

That's really really interesting.See there is me learning something already that i can use when i search.I really fancy putting another mannequin in my study and want a tunic but as i said i could easily be stung with my lack of knowledge .So have to learn here and that's why i asked what i should look for.So this is a Japanese Tunic sent out to POWS to replace damaged uniforms is that right .I take it it was one pocket to save on costs and materials
        "Broadsword calling Danny boy , Broadsword calling Danny boy" youve got to love that film

Comment

Originally posted by dog soldier View Post
          That's really really interesting.See there is me learning something already that i can use when i search.I really fancy putting another mannequin in my study and want a tunic but as i said i could easily be stung with my lack of knowledge .So have to learn here and that's why i asked what i should look for.So this is a Japanese Tunic sent out to POWS to replace damaged uniforms is that right .I take it it was one pocket to save on costs and materials
          What period during the war ,winter.summeror tropical are you looking to do.You can go to Griffin Militaria, Dan has a number of tunics and pants for sale.You'll want to make sure that the tunic has the loop on the left side ( tunic facing you ) to support the belt. That being said some of the late war two pocket tunics do not have this loop.

Comment

Will , thanks .I think i will go for a summer tunic just want a good display .I cant afford the leather webbing so will buy replicas for that but want everything else to be original.Its a mine field not knowing your stuff .I just really want tips how to spot whats fake and what is real , do you know what i am saying .I would like to be able to get a bargain some where ebay or an auction , but i dont have the knowledge to take that risk and will have to go to dealers and thats always more expensive .Although Dan Griffins stuff is well priced and very very good

Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by dog soldier View Post
              Will , thanks .I think i will go for a summer tunic just want a good display .I cant afford the leather webbing so will buy replicas for that but want everything else to be original.Its a mine field not knowing your stuff .I just really want tips how to spot whats fake and what is real , do you know what i am saying .I would like to be able to get a bargain some where ebay or an auction , but i dont have the knowledge to take that risk and will have to go to dealers and thats always more expensive .Although Dan Griffins stuff is well priced and very very good

Graeme
              Graeme, I personaly stay away from anything without a depot stamp because my understanding is that it was never accepted by the military.If you go back to the very begining of this forum and read every post you'll learn more than you can imagine, it's a gold mine of information.If you can't read depot marks you should learn, they're very easy to learn

Will G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X