Book Release- Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Release- Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags

This is a brief message to update you on my book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two. The book is being handled by Elm Grove Publishing of San Antonio, TX. Mick Prodger, the publisher, is no stranger to books on militaria and military related subjects. He has written at least 5 books on Flight Helmets, Luftwaffe vs. RAF Flight Gear and related subjects.
    I received an email from him this week letting me know that the edited manuscript copy is going to the printer. This first "run" is to make sure that the color plates and images are spot-on. There are approximately 210 illustrations (most are in color), located among the 196 pages. Once he has determined that the colors look good, the book will go to final print. I have a small hope that the book will be ready by Christmas, but that is probably not likely.
    If anyone has questions with regard to the book: content, flags, or anything related to that, please don't hesitate to add a question here.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike..Can I get Copy Number One?
    Andy and Lucy in Historic Gettysburg PA USA

Comment

How do I order it?
      Trystan

Comment

Same here how do I order?

Comment

Congratulations Mike! I am soo looking forward to your latest book, and those in the future. Can't wait! Take care,

PG-
          " Stay low boys, it's going to get hot in here "
          In Search of Nambu Type 14 blued magazines # 047,195,981 and nickel magazines # 481,872

Comment

Hello guys and thank you for all of the interest in the book. It really looked like copies would be in-print by sometime in December, although to be fair, the publisher told me that was an outside chance. If you Google search the title, a piece pops up showing a December 20, 2020 publishing date. I have had no recent communication from Elm Grove to that affect, so would guess that the release will be after the first of the year. I was fortunate to have a number of collectors lend me their flags for the publication. Combined with the examples that I have in my own collection, there are over 60 tiger painted flags and tiger painted good luck cloth amulets detailed in the book. Nearly all of the examples are translated into English and many have some fascinating "tails" to tell (pun intended!) One flag in particular is a direct veteran purchase, and includes details of the man's military service as well as the soldier's letter home to his wife, telling her about the tiger painted flag that he included in the box shipped to their home. In that letter, he describes how he acquired the flag. Some of the flags are even rarer: one comes from a Navy Yokaren cadet, assigned to a kamikaze unit, including many details of his life and career. Another flag not only has a tiger painted on it, but is also covered with blood oaths. The book has received early positive reviews and I am grateful to the published authors who took their time to preview it and write endorsements. For those interested in the question, "Why the tiger on Japanese military related good luck flags?" this book will provide tons of explanations, answers and more. Like you, I am quite anxious to see the book in print; and will be sure to pass along any additional information, once received. Additional inquiries may be sent to Elm Grove Publishing, San Antonio, TX. I can't say whether that will speed up the printing process, but it can't hurt!
            Should anyone have specific or general questions regarding content, please ask away. Regards,

MikeB

Comment

For those who asked, here is a copy of the book cover art.

MikeB
              Attached Files

Comment

For those who are wondering what a tiger illustrated good luck flag looks like, here is an example. I am grateful to Vintage Productions-Bob Chatt for allowing me to use this fine example in my upcoming book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two. It will be listed in Chapter Six: Tiger Head Portraits.

This Imperial Japanese good luck signed flag is made from a slightly darkened white silk. The hoist and fly side edges have the usual hem stitching to provide strength, while the silver paper foil corner tabs, with tie strings remain in place. The deep red colored sun was silk screen pressed onto the field's white background.

On the flag's right-hand side appear 3 large vertical lines of bold kanji characters. The example nearest to the hoist side edge say, Hichisei Hokoku or “Seven Lives In Devotion To The Country”. The center line of ideograms spells out the name of the jinja where the flag was ink stamped, and blessed; they say, Minatogawa Jinja. Directly above that line are 2 partially faded red ink stamps for the Minatogawa Shrine: a square seal below the kikusui no mon (half chrysanthemum floating upon river). The third vertical line of characters nearer to the sun's edge are for the name of the flag's recipient. The line of kanji reads, Tame Ishimizu Masaru Kun or “For Mr. Ishimizu Masaru”.

Positioned directly in front of the painted tiger image are 2 medium sized lines of ideograms that fan out, and away from the sun in typical yosegaki-style. Those lines read, Jinchu Hokoku or “Seven Lives In Devotion To The Country”, and then the name of a relative, Ishimizu Ichinosuke who probably placed the slogan on the flag as well.

The large tiger head painted upon the upper left-hand side of the flag was done in shades of black, gray, white, red, pink, brown, and orange. The artist's brush captured the animal with its focused eyes narrowed, ears back, and snarling mouth open.

The well known print artist Yoshida Toshi (1911-1995), executed the woodblock printed profile of a tiger's head (see accompanying woodblock print illustration, ca. 1926). It is interesting to compare the noticeable similarities to the tiger portrait painted on Bob's flag sometime later, by an anonymous good luck flag artist.

Interestingly, the two tiger portraits, one with mouth open, and the other with mouth closed exemplify the “O-”, and “-m” of the sacred mantra sound (Om or Aum), embraced by a number of religions, and religious philosophies, including Buddhism.

MikeB
                Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful flag and an excellent description.

— Guy

Comment

Congratulations , thanks for the added info’ - looks like it will be a very interesting book.
                    "Difficult decisions are the privilege of rank, Herr Gruppenfuhrer"

Comment

Guy & eubank-

Thank you for the nice feedback. That is a beautiful flag, one of two that Bob loaned me for the book. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the book's release will not be delayed too much longer.

Best,

MikeB

Comment

Here is a link to some early endorsements on the book. I'd like to thank those who reviewed the book.

MikeB

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=at0JzgEACAAJ

Comment

Excellent Mike,looking forward to reading this new book!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Hello Russ and thank you for your feedback. Thanks too for your PM today, it meant a lot.

Best,

MIkeB

Comment

Awesome, Mike, looking forward to it!

Tom
                              WANTED: Captured Japanese documents from Peleliu and New Guinea, as well as techo with mobile/coastal division entries.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X