Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Helmet Stars

Hi All
    Could someone tell me why many WW2 Japanese helmets have the stars missing from the front. I've been told that removal of the star was an act of defiance when surrendering to the enemy, much like some Japanese Officers would do and keep their sword tassel when surrendering their swords.
    is there any truth in this.
    Any info appreciated

Cheers
    Graham

I think the more likely scenario, is that the helmet stars make a convenient souvenir to take, instead of the entire helmet. I have seen many Belts, pouches, wallets, holsters, ect. adorned by G.I.'s with helmet and hat stars.

PG-
    " Stay low boys, it's going to get hot in here "
    In Search of Nambu Type 14 blued magazines # 047,195,981 and nickel magazines # 481,872

Comment

I agree with Paul

Comment

Pacific war hate belt that unfortunately was parted out and destroyed by the owner. For infantrymen, carrying around a heavy/bulky steel helmet is really not an option in most scenarios. The badges however come off easy and pack well.
        Attached Files
        Interested in Japanese Special Naval Landing Force, USMC, Raider, & all Battle of Tarawa items.

Comment

Man, that's a killer belt!

Comment

Yes it was! Only the second one I have ever seen.
            Interested in Japanese Special Naval Landing Force, USMC, Raider, & all Battle of Tarawa items.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone, it's much appreciated.

Cheers
              Graham

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X