Opinions needed on Japanese army hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on Japanese army hat

I just picked this up today, and am not sure if it is legit or not. I see mostly cloth ones, but this is not a cloth type, I am not sure what it is made out of. Any ideas or opinions would be most appreciated.
    Dave
    Attached Files

Looks like a civilian cap with an added star. Not military.

Regards

Russ

Comment

I agree

Comment

Civil use. I think this material might be SUFU or "staple fiber" sometimes made from a type of wood pulp mixed with other materials and was used as a substitute for cotton and wool. Used toward the end of the War as a sort of ersatz material

Comment

Did you buy this out of South Dakota? I had a guy try to sell me the same hat a couple of weeks ago and posted pictures of it here.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I got it out of SE Idaho. I looked up your post. Mine is a different hat. I can see some differences, but it is interesting that the stars were put on both of these. Was it a post war addition or home defense thing?

Comment

It would be a post war addition as there were regulations on use of the star. Someone trying to sell as an army hat for more money was probably the motivation as these hats are not popular with collectors.

Regards

Russ

Comment

If you paid over $40 I'd try and get the money back - these are "fake news" hats

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X