Japanese Sword Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sword Translation

Just picked this near mint sword up from an estate. I dont think the handle was off since the war, hoping for a translation.
    Thanks in advance, cliffDSC06114.JPG DSC06115.JPG DSC06116.JPG DSC06118.JPG DSC06119.JPG DSC06120.JPG e, Cliff
    USA

興亜一心
    Koa Isshin

満鉄作之
    Mantetsu Saku Kore

昭和辛巳春
    Shōwa Kanoto-mi Haru
    1941 Spring

ヵ三五三
    Ka-353

-- Guy

Comment

Nice pickup! These Mantetsu swords have been rather popular the past few years.

Tom
      WANTED: Captured Japanese documents from Peleliu and New Guinea, as well as techo with mobile/coastal division entries.

Comment

Looks like I have a good one this time, wondering what it's worth?
        Thanks again, Cliff
        USA

Comment

Hard to say right now. Pre-COVID they were selling over $3,000 USD. I had a real hard time just getting $2,400 during COVID for one I sold. Quick scans of ebay and other sales seem to indicate that prices are recovering.

Does yours have a "W" stamp at the top or end of the nakago?

Comment

Nice one. The Chinese were buying these up given the history when they were buying swords. They were declining pre-covid for the last couple of years but are still popular and desirable.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but would this be an example of Type-98 Gunto?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post
                Hard to say right now. Pre-COVID they were selling over $3,000 USD. I had a real hard time just getting $2,400 during COVID for one I sold. Quick scans of ebay and other sales seem to indicate that prices are recovering.

Does yours have a "W" stamp at the top or end of the nakago?
                Hope it goes for $2400, that would be great, just put on e-bay for 5 days. I want to use the money to buy an SS item which is what I collect. Again, thanks for all the help, Cliff
                USA

Comment

Originally posted by hale1940 View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance, but would this be an example of Type-98 Gunto?
                  Yes, exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceP View Post

Yes, exactly.
                    Awesome. Trying my best to learn haha.

So the Type-98 was for Commissioned officers as I understand it, that correct? Its interesting that the blades were made by individual sword smiths and not factory produced blades.

Comment

Originally posted by hale1940 View Post
                      So the Type-98 was for Commissioned officers as I understand it, that correct? Its interesting that the blades were made by individual sword smiths and not factory produced blades.
                      Correct, though officers began with the Type 94, which simply had 2 belt hangers (haikan). The second was removable, and usually was removed. In 1938, the second haikan was deleted from the specs, and the Type 98 was commissioned.

You can read tons about all these at the Ohmura website: http://ohmura-study.net/900.html. Fabulous pictures and some history of it all.

Comment

Very nice sword!
                        I have a question on those, is there a trick to get the handle off, it's been there a long time and wouldn't come loose just from hitting top of the hand.
                        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by AlikN View Post
                          Very nice sword!
                          I have a question on those, is there a trick to get the handle off, it's been there a long time and wouldn't come loose just from hitting top of the hand.
                          Thank you!
                          Here's a nice tutorial by Moses Beccara (registered polisher).

In a shirasaya (resting fittings).

With tsuba still attached.

I've copied the video at the pertinent times; I recommend you view the entire video from beginning to end.

Moses is using a block of wood and wooden mallet -- but there are purpose-made jigs that are easier to use (see attached image).

Cheers,
                          -- Guy
                          Attached Files

Comment

I use a rubber mallet, tapping on alternating sides of the tsuba. The trick is wrapping the blade tightly with a cloth to hold the blade while you tap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                            X