Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Army Pilot Oxygen Maek

Hey guys...

Any chance this is original? Straps are a bit different than what I have seen.

Mike
    Attached Files
    Sd.Kfz. 251/9 "Stummel" Restoration

https://www.facebook.com/251stummel

Any donations are welcome to help fund the restoration of this very rare vehicle.

Mask and straps are correct for an IJA pilot - it is a real one. A hard to find item and most always have a oxidized, crumbly main hose like this one does too.

I don't like anything about the flight cap - looks very hokey to me. Doesn't match any known IJA styles. Looks like someone saw some pictures of a IJN Type 3 and tried to create an "IJA version" - (which doesn't exist from any sources or collections I've ever seen)

Would comment that although it is rare, it is also fragile and should not be displayed on a pilot mannequin face where gravity and light can further decay it. Kind of a double edged sword really. Best to preserve this by laying it flat and sealing in a nitrogen display case! I know - that would suck, but that is the other edge - it is fragile and will turn to crumbled dust in the years ahead so be careful what you invest into it. IMO
    Last edited by beretta1934; 10-19-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
    X