Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fancyt Asian Long blade knife with Inlay and scabbard. Where from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fancyt Asian Long blade knife with Inlay and scabbard. Where from?

So this is supposedly a Vietnam War bringback. It is certainly of Asian or middle East origin and very well made. The blade is 18" and decorated with brass inlays on one side. It is wicked sharp. It also has a smaller scalpel like knife that is 11" long. The scabbard is highly engraved wood with wound fiber or plant wrapping it.
    The handle is horse-head and very hard. It has actual horse hair attached in it.
    If anyone has a clue what I have here I would appreciate any help identifying.
    Thanks, Mike
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

http://www.indomagic.com/articles/ke...dhunter-sword/

Rob
      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

A Headhunters sword! OK that is seriously creepy. I don't think I'll tell my wife what it is, lol!
        Thanks for the info Robb.

Comment

Fascinating. I learn something new here everyday on waf.

Comment

So if I'm reading this right the hair on the handle is not horse hair but Human hair from a victim . Ugghhh!

Comment

Could well be! Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by 1historynut View Post
                So if I'm reading this right the hair on the handle is not horse hair but Human hair from a victim . Ugghhh!
                Probably not. Given how pristine this piece is, it must be of recent manufacture and the last head hunting was done in the 1880s, with a little 'backsliding' by several groups there and in New Guinea who apparently took Japanese heads during WWII.

A very nice looking piece, however, well made for a tourist item. The hair is likely horse or something similar. A close examination should tell you: horse hair is much coarser than human.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                  Probably not. Given how pristine this piece is, it must be of recent manufacture and the last head hunting was done in the 1880s, with a little 'backsliding' by several groups there and in New Guinea who apparently took Japanese heads during WWII.

A very nice looking piece, however, well made for a tourist item. The hair is likely horse or something similar. A close examination should tell you: horse hair is much coarser than human.
                  Thanks for your input. I tend to agree that the condition is too nice to be a period piece. I also think it is horse hair. Too coarse to be human.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X