FFL Battle of Camerone Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFL Battle of Camerone Medal

Hi, I would appreciate comments on this medal and the ribbon for authentication. Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Collecting Nebeltruppe-Smoke Troops Items and Post-War Unit Histories

Seems to be more of an associative or remembrance piece - souvenir in nature and low value.

Definitely not military issue.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Yes, it is a commemorative medal, I knew that and am not worried about that or the value, only if it is a period made piece from the time they were first made and not a modern copy.

Comment

Interesting medal. While a bit faded do the 3 vertical stripes signify the colors of the Mexican flag? They are not in the same order as the flag though, Green, White, Red. As already noted a likely commemorative medal. Camerone being a major day of remembrance for the Legion. Looks possibly to be of late 1800’s to early 1900’s era. I collect some FFL and have never seen this medal before.
        Last edited by irish; 06-26-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
          Interesting medal. While a bit faded do the 3 vertical stripes signify the colors of the Mexican flag? They are not in the same order as the flag though, Green, White, Red. As already noted a likely commemorative medal. Camerone being a major day of remembrance for the Legion. Looks possibly to be of late 1800’s to early 1900’s era. I collect some FFL and have never seen this medal before.
          Thanks, I did not notice that. It is possible the ribbon was place incorrectly and can be turned around so that probably is the correct way it was designed. I am sure it was not designed incorrectly etc. I would guess it was produced after the battle, maybe 25 years for commemoration etc. I have this one as well which was the issue medal for the expedition. Sorry it posted the images sideways. This seems to be a problem on this website.
          Attached Files

Comment

Love the mexico campaign medal.

That's about the last one I'm missing.

If you search on French google, there are many varieties of the initial medal out there. Also another variant for 100 year anniversary...

Looks like a poor quality strike and detail...

Comment

Poor quality for something like that is not unusual. If copies are not known, then it probably is a period piece. It could be 50 years or 100 years etc. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                Poor quality for something like that is not unusual. If copies are not known, then it probably is a period piece. It could be 50 years or 100 years etc. Thanks for the help.
                With the low value on these, I wouldn't stress about that.

I'd imagine more were done in the decades following than right at the moment of...

Comment

These sell for 80-100 dollars so for what it is, IMO not really a low value item like a trinket. I collect Heer but work in Mexico so it nice to have the awards. I have not seen another example with a ribbon.

Comment

These sell for 80-100 dollars so for what it is, IMO not really a low value item like a trinket. I collect Heer but work in Mexico so it nice to have the awards. I have not seen another example with a ribbon.
                    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/MEDAILLE-MIL...wAAOSwCjpcSzXy

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/2-6-Medaille...8AAOSwRXJcpz-y

Comment

Right and they do not have the ribbon or the mounting ring. End price for one like those without the ribbon etc. is closer to 50 US and this one is beat up-

https://www.emedals.com/an-1863-fren...morative-medal

Comment

Right and they do not have the ribbon or the mounting ring. End price for one like those without the ribbon etc. is closer to 50 US and this one is beat up-

https://www.emedals.com/an-1863-fren...morative-medal
                        Respectfully, emedals is not a good market comp.

Everyone's free to ask what they want though. And again, nice pieces!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                        X