Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austria - Bundesheer - Brotsack

Hello fellows,

I got this breadbag of the austrian Bundesheer.

Looking in the book "Die Uniformen des Österrichischen Bundesheeres 1952-1995" by Rolf M. Urrisk I noticed that in the section of the equipments the breadbag shown is slightly different to the one I purchased.

I wish I could tell a production date, but the markings are too poor to be read properly...it might be 1969....but am not sure....what do you think?

I am still a learner on austrian post-war Militaria, so I hope that someone of you guys can tell me why my breadbag has no carrying handle on its cover top.

Comparing pictures in the net I also noticed that there were also breadbags sporting snap hooks in american style. Were these kind of hooks issued on later productions?

Also I would like to know if the carrying strap that came together with the breadbag belongs to one of those breadbags which I suppose to be more modern.

Thank you very much for your help,

Alex

Bernhard
    http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ber.php?u=2922
    is pretty conversant in Austrian post WWII uniforms and equpment.

Comment

Thank you Reibert for the hint,

I wrote to Bernhard two days ago but, though I can see he is actually active on the forum, he doesn't really care to write an answer.....what a pity

Alex

Comment

comune1aclasse,

I suggest that you send Bernhard a PM instead of your last method of contacting him. That type of message can easily be missed. It has happened to me several times. A PM will show up as an email and I am sure he will respond to that.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
          comune1aclasse,

I suggest that you send Bernhard a PM instead of your last method of contacting him. That type of message can easily be missed. It has happened to me several times. A PM will show up as an email and I am sure he will respond to that.

Regards,

Gordon

That's right Gordon !
          And Alex , all the fellow collectors that know me will
          tell you that I am always glad to help and share my knowledge !!!

Regards

Bernhard

Comment

Hi Alex ,

The Brotsack you are showing seems to be of a later production date.
            For comparison I posted pics of my 1962 dated example that has the
            US style clips and the carrying handle.

The maker of both Brotsacks is "Schluga , from St.Veit an der Glan" , a company
            still in business today.

The carrying strap that came with your sack is definitely of a later model.
            I am not familiar with the Rüstung 75 , but your strap may be part of this
            equipment.
            Interresting is the mix of german and austrian hardware.
            The hooks are from Overhoff Co Lüdenscheid (OLC) and the buckle cleary
            shows the maker's mark of Ulbricht's Witwe Schwanenstadt.
            The date is 1983.

Hope this helps !

Best regards

Bernhard
            Attached Files

Comment

Carrying strap !
              Attached Files

Comment

HBA and Schluga stamp details !
                Attached Files

Comment

Last.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bernhard,

many many thanks for your help!

Nice piece that you have there ...I wish the markings on my bag were as readable as yours!

So it seems that existed at least two models of the breadbag......now I will have to look for the one with the handle....

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Generally speaking there are 2 variations of most the M59 equipment. The earlier types seem to have the older US style clips while the latter types have the wide Bundeswehr type. There are other variations here and there, but those are the two most obvious ones.

In my experience it is hard to find the straps for these bags. They rarely come with the bags. I have at least one that had a strap sewn onto it, but that might have been to make it marketable as a shoulder bag for the surplus market.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                      X