French Adrian Helmet - WWI veteran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Adrian Helmet - WWI veteran?

Is this a WWI- or WWII-era helmet? It is clearly repainted, possibly for civilian use? (Air raid warden etc) And finally, the front visor plaque, if I read it correctly is states a soldier in the great war, correct?
    Attached Files

hello, sometimes helmets repainted with tarnish blue at the front. this helmet is not civil use. nice ww1 helmet
    Search: SB/WP/Photos/Docs Heer Generals ; 290.ID ; 205.ID ; 45.ID

Comment

A classical WW1 nicely preserved helmet with a matt dark paint given to a Vet' in the 20's as Souvenir .
      Nick

Comment

Thanks! Your replies convinced me to place a bid and I got lucky and won it. Looking forward to receive that package.....

Peter

Comment

A nice helmet. As often the fragile chinstrap is missing. I hace seen a picture with a 1940 officer wearing a helmet with the vetran palque (repainted in 1940 color).

Comment

That´s very interesting! So on occasion a veteran from the first world war, while serving again in 1940 could wear the helmet with the plaque. You don´t happen to remember where You saw that picture?

As for the chin strap, I guess it will be difficult to find a replacement but I´ll sure try. Where they marked and/or dated?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnerwetter View Post
              That´s very interesting! So on occasion a veteran from the first world war, while serving again in 1940 could wear the helmet with the plaque. You don´t happen to remember where You saw that picture?

As for the chin strap, I guess it will be difficult to find a replacement but I´ll sure try. Where they marked and/or dated?
              If 1940 use, it's in Khaki (French) color in most of case. Your is most probably the official gift from french goverment to WW veterans short after WW1. SOME of the can be reused as combat helmets. I don't can retrive the picture.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification! So, most likely newer actively used after WWI.

Comment

Original stock mint helmets given to vet's after 1918 but WW1 made , IMO not WW1 issued .
                  Nick

Comment

Very informative thread for me. Seems like a nice albeit unusual way to show the nations appreciation. Are there any records of how many helmets was bestowed on veterans as commemorative pieces? Timeframe for this practice?

Comment

This helmets were givent to soldiers after tge victory, december 1918. For the soldiers still in activity they can bring their helmet to home, for the others; the helmet was one taken in the stocks ans send to the soldier. Most probably hundred tousands where given...

Comment

Again, many thanks for the replies! Now I know quite a bit more about my Adrian helmet!

Comment

Original Adrian M15 infantry helmet 2nd pattern dark bleu paint . Plaque commemorative M 1919 on visor
                          Mathieu

Comment

Excellent, thanks!

Comment

I don't know anything aboiut this company's work, but they sell a reproduction strap for the WWI Adrian for $15.00. Perhaps worth checking out? https://pflco.com/belgian.htm

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X