Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Para-badge Indochina Period

Hello
    i decided to make this to help all the collectors.
    Here are all the model you can find during Indochina war...
    -Mourgeon

sometimes found with low number, never officially engraved

-Drago rue Béranger

-Type 1

-Type 2

-Type 3

-Type 4

-Type 5
    no picture, same as "type 3" without "DEPOSE" and with "LES" before "EDITIONS MILITAIRES

-BOUILLOT
    -Type 1

-Type 2

-AUGIS

-Drago Olivier Metra
    -Type 1

-Type 2

-Arthus Bertrand

never officially engraved

hope it helps....to be continued

Herlé
    Collecting SB/WP, award doc's and other items related to the 2nd Fallschirmjäger division. BREST

Thank you herle
    LOOKING FOR - FJ STURM REGIMENT - BADGE

Comment

An early one ... 1946
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

the earliest model, and imo the most beautiful model, the first Mourgeon para-badge type (no cartouche on the back).
        Handmade numbered 1144 to Amand Morel (May-June 1943), but it is not confirmed that it is the badge of Amand and that the writing is period.

See You

Vince
        Attached Files
        Last edited by FrenchVolunteer; 09-11-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!! Very helpful indeed ! Tom

Comment

Nice variety.

I always find it funny that the earliest Drago Beranger model has a horrible die detail so the markings are the worst of them all!

I always try to hunt out the low #'d pieces which are neat.

The Augis examples are also underappreciated!

Cdt
            ------------------------------------------------
            Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks Herle !

Comment

I have this Drago wing that seems to have 2 separate stampings; maybe a transitional piece? It's not listed with the types above, is there any way to date it?

Comment

Originally posted by earlymb View Post

I have this Drago wing that seems to have 2 separate stampings; maybe a transitional piece? It's not listed with the types above, is there any way to date it?
                  Many thanks for this nice picture (and item).

This reminds me a product dating from the beginning of the nineteen-sixties.

Cheers.

Comment

These examples with very poor detail were more in line with surplus production that was made until very recently, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
                      These examples with very poor detail were more in line with surplus production that was made until very recently, I believe.
                      According to the list below a Drago marked with 'Romainville' was made only in 1952-1953. However, since it is unmarked but has obvious signs of wear and patina I suspect it might have a been a 'private purchase' thing by a para that didn't want to swap over his 'official' wings between uniforms all the time?

Comment

You are maybe right about 1952-53, earlymb.

The presented model has "guillochage" or "guillochures".

A particular point : it's a badge without the number of the certificate, mainly given by the ETAP (Ecole des Troupes Aéro-Portées or Airbone Troops School) in Pau.

Generally, the original badge is worn on the parade dress or the work dress, rarely or never on a combat dress. In such cases, a "copy" only is worn.

I frequented, in the seventies and during many years, a small shop in Paris, named "Mili-Sports". Well situated on "Avenue de la Motte-Piquet" (between the "Invalides" and the "Ecole Miltaire"), it was the heaven for getting recent or old regimental insignia, military badges, small size red para berets, ... and naturally such "copies".

Not really "copies", but real stuff from Drago, without the certificate numbers, nice for the replacement of a lost or damaged one, or only as a spare one, "in case of ...".

Sometimes, it was not surprising to get in this shop a very old parachute badge (coming from a stockpile or from the "foyer" or internal shop/lounge of a paratrooper regiment), but not considered as a "real" one (not directly delivered by the ETAP to a new breveted paratrooper). In these rare times, it was a real feast day, with such item sold at a very low prize, the prize of the current Drago production !

Anyhow, the French parachute badge nicknamed "plaque à vélo" or bicycle plate (bicycles must, since 1893, wear in France a metallic identification plate, rolled on the front tubular part, a plate with the same design than the parachute badge) was always sought and prized

Cheers.

Last edited by LtVignerte; 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Guys,

There was a massive stock of this variant that is still being sold in surplus shops.

Sure it has the Romainville marking, but was manufactured later than normal.

This is a $7 piece.

Comment

I agree this was probably a surplus piece (maybe they were considered mis-strikes?), but given the amount of wear it wasn't bought yesterday and it has seen a lot of honest use. I think the most likely scenario still is that it was privately purchased by a para for daily wear. Unfortunately we'll never know for sure but I did learn about it so thanks everyone for the input!

Comment

Maybe one of the earliest one known .... 0000xx
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X