VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camouflage uniforms of the Vietnam Wars Part 1: French Indochina.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camouflage uniforms of the Vietnam Wars Part 1: French Indochina.

Gentlemen .

It is now time to have some camouflage fun .

I am going to post some 1st and 2nd Indochina war camouflage uniforms .

Lets see if we can get all patterns used in the war up .

This should be fun .

I know a lot of you members have great stuff so lets see if this grows into a nice fat information bucket .

owen
    kammoman
    Attached Files

We shall post some things like Invisible ERDL cammos
    Attached Files

Comment

here we are showing the ARVN jump wings on this Invivible ERDL shirt .
      You can also see the dog-tag chain .
      Attached Files

Comment

Later on you will get a full helping of this 1st pattern Tigerstripe set .
        At present there are only a handfull of these known to exist .
        This one is named to a special forces soldier .
        Attached Files

Comment

This is a small sampler of Tiger uniforms .
          There are at least 25 different prints .
          This pattern has a long history , that began in France .
          With the introduction of the TAP 47-51 combat uniform the French unveiled a camouflage pattern the would see service well into the 21st century .
          From its humble beginings the lizard pattern would go through many changes and transformations .
          In 1957 the Vietnamese themselfs copied the pattern thus began the pattern that we all know as tigerstripe .
          During the 2nd Indo china war this pattern was copied by many nations , tailors and outside contractors .
          This diversity led to final wartime patterns that looked radically different from the pre-war patterns .
          I will show some of these examples here as well as other patterns that had infulences from other NATO countrys .
          It is worth noting that the present day USAF wear a version of tiger that can be directly traced to the original French 1951 pattern .
          owen
          Attached Files

Comment

Beogam also had its roots in the 1st Indo china war .
            Copied from the US WW2 camouflage pattern that was introduced in-country by the French in proved popular with the men .
            this set is named to a Special Forces member and is generally refered to as the CISO issue .
            This was made in Okiniawa and issued in 1963 .
            I will go more into this pattern later , it is worth mentioning Beogam has several different printd , fabric weights and cuts ,this example being 1st type .
            Attached Files

Comment

So over the next weeks I will go into depth on this subject .
              I have about 27 manquinnes dressed in full combat uniforms .
              20 of these are Vietnam .
              So I will spend time on each one and talk about the patterns and gear
              Here you can see Invisible ERDL Team 162 Advisor uniform and a 3rd pattern Beogan Special Forces guy , so stay tuned and post your own uniforms and together we shall make this a great thread .
              owen
              Attached Files

Comment

HI Owen

i really like the invisible ERDL, thats my favorite pattern next to Tiger stripe.

Alex

Comment

Well case in point .
                  I was looking through my computer and found these Windproof pattern shots .
                  I will show pattern #1 first .

The Windproof pattern was introduced to the world be the British in 1942 .
                  It came in a 2 piece set .
                  A smock and a pair of trousers .
                  Also issued but seldom seen was a tanker suit .
                  The British printed this pattern on 2 distinct weights of fabric .
                  Most common was the polished cotton type .

The French were given unused garments from British surplus sometime in the late 1940s .
                  These sets were designed to be worn as overgarments ,so it was common for the French and Vietnamese to tailor them for a stylish fit .

So the pattern took on many names , Sausage skins comes to mind as one .
                  Also SAS pattern ,but to me this is wrong as it was a general issue item .

By the 1961 the Viets had reproduced the pattern themselfs .
                  This first pattern closely matched the original British version .
                  Here is the Vietnamese first pattern .
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kammo man; 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Here is the second strike of the pattern .
                    This made the pattern more simple and cut out lots of backgroung colors .
                    The fabric itself became more cruder .

Again the pattern was held in high regard by the troops .
                    It was named among other things Bullet Proof pattern .
                    Purple pattern .
                    Pinks .
                    Windproof pattern .

I am showing the back pannel from two different shirts ,but it is the same piece of the print .

Windproof production began in 1961 and ceased by 1964 to the best of my knowledge .
                    But As a camouflage pattern saw service to the end of the war as worn by ranking officers and the like .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Z
                      Dont be shy post anything you have .
                      1 piece is the same as 100 to me .
                      Thats me done untill next Monday as I have millions of thing to do this weekend
                      owen
                      out .

Comment

Does anyone know where the "peau de saucisson" (somewhat Sausage skins for the non food addicts) name comes from? Is that french? (Sounds like) or brits? Saucisson is saucisson ! Hell !

Comment

Killer thread, again, Owen!

I am anxiously awaiting the remainder of the lecture and review of the Vietnam Camo in your collection to follow. The snippets viewed on other forums and other threads you have posted have been interesting, but it is a good idea to have a thread devoted to a total subject like this, especially since I have yet had the opportunity to admire the extent of the Vietnam period items you have first hand. We will have to hook up next time I am in LA.

Also, on a side note to what has been posted, I definitely agree there should be a Vietnam War thread on this forum.

Comment

The French were given unused garments from British surplus sometime in the late 1940s .
                            These sets were designed to be worn as overgarments ,so it was common for the French and Vietnamese to tailor them for a stylish fit.

Hello all,

just to add to the topic here some photos showing the use of camouflage in the region, specifically some of the patterns that would influence entirely the patterns of the second Indochina war.

Again we turn to "life" magazine and its online archive of remarkable images.

In most of these shots the classic British Windproof camouflage can be seen.

To start here are French and Vietnamese paratroopers boarding their plane to drop as reinforcements to the ill fated Dien Bien Phu garrison.

Note that this photo is dated 1954 and even at this late date the French NCO has kept a British Dension smock.

Comment

Another grouping of paras, both French and Vietnamese.

Full sets of windproof can be seen in wear. Of note are the caps....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X