Vietnam Grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vietnam Grouping

Hey guys I lucked out today and got some really nice things from a Vietnam vet. I have to sort through it all yet, but a few highlights are his dress green uniform, his dress blues, some patches, DUI's, and certificates. The uniforms were bundled together in a foot locker in his shed. After I have them properly cleaned, I'll photograph them and add them here. He said take them or he was throwing them out. It's late now, but I did want to show you all his ribbon bar and see if you can run down to me what all these are. I saw a photo taken before he retired and he had some unit citations on his uniform as well, but unfortunately, he didn't know where they were.

Here's the ribbon bar:
    Last edited by Jim Baker; 11-16-2005, 01:01 AM.

Hey Jim, that's a great bar! Can't wait to see the rest of the group.

Alright here we go!

First Row: Army Commendation Medal

Second Row: Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, and National Defense Service Medal

Third Row: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal!, Vietnam Service Medal, and NCO Professional Development Medal?

Fourth Row: Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal

Hope this helps!

For an explanation and requirements:

http://gruntsmilitary.com/armyribs.php
    Thanks!
    Eric Houtman
    Fallschirmjager Portrait Collector

Comment

Hey Eric,

Thanks! I have a question. I know this guy was a Purple Heart winner. Would he be required to wear the ribbon? His wife told me he threw them away.

Also, is there a listing of Silver Star winners for the Vietnam war?

Comment

Im glad help out Jim

Im not 100% on the requirements of wearing your ribbon, it would suprise me that someone wouldnt want to wear their purple heart ribbon, I would have to hand that question over to somebody else.

As for the Silver Star recipient list, NARA does have a listing of awards given in Vietnam, it might not be that complete, but it is worth searching through.

Here is a link:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/title-list.jsp

Under "Subject" select "armed forces officers" (he is an NCO, so he should be in there) and then go to the bottom of the list and select "Records of Awards of Honor during the Vietnam Conflict" Then hit the big orange button labeled "Select" and then fill in what info you know, his name should be sufficient, and hopefully you should get a result.

Hope this can help some more for ya!
        Thanks!
        Eric Houtman
        Fallschirmjager Portrait Collector

Comment

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

I am curious as to the award of the AFEM. Everything looks legit and four ARCOMs are not particularly unusual. I wonder how long he served, probably twenty years or more. The Good Conduct ribbon is the sixth award.

Comment

Hi Atch,

He served 22 years and was a First Sargent. He was about to come up for the Sargent Majors list but I guess he had enough and retired.

Do the three stars on the Vietnam ribbon indicate 3 tours??

Comment

Originally posted by Panzerman
              Do the three stars on the Vietnam ribbon indicate 3 tours??
              No, those represent campaigns, just like WWII campaign ribbons. The link Eric provided is actually quite good. On the VN service ribbon, it lists the Army campaigns. Also lists the Expeditionary campaigns as well.

Also, he would not be required to wear the PH ribbon if he qualified for one. It would be his personal choice. It would be interesting to know why he felt the way he did about the medal.

I cannot wait to see the rest of the group, either-- it sounds pretty cool.

Regards,
              Last edited by historyguy; 08-21-2005, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Combat Infantry:

Comment

Meritorious Service. He got this when he retired. Unfortunately, it was the only actual medal he could find. He had thrown the rest away.

Comment

Some patches:

1st Air Cav

Comment

More:

Comment

Couple of more:

Comment

Some DUI:

Comment

A few more things coming, got to go take pics. Some slip on's still sealed:

Comment

Certificate Folder, front:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X