Double Headed/Crowned Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Headed/Crowned Eagle

Hoping someone might tell me if this bird is German, Russian, Hapsburg or some other symbol.

Thanx in advance ~ Rick
    Attached Files

I believe it's the symbol of the Byzantine Empire. Although, it's obviously modern.

Comment

It is an ancient symbol. In this form I believe it was the symbol of the Holy Roman Empire. I believe the Byzantine version was slightly different in that the eagle held an orb in one talon or alternatively had a circular crest on its chest.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
        It is an ancient symbol. In this form I believe it was the symbol of the Holy Roman Empire. I believe the Byzantine version was slightly different in that the eagle held an orb in one talon or alternatively had a circular crest on its chest.
        That was my second guess and I agree with you. The Holy Roman Empire and Byzantine Empire were related. So, it stands to reason that they would share similar heraldry. Although I still think it's a modern decorator piece and nothing more.

Comment

Came out of a house filled with pre-30s stuff so I figured war time. Oh well, not sure why decorator pieces for the Holy Roman Empire would be poular/made in the 30s-40s but one never knows, right?

Anyone else not getting notified when threads get updated? There have been three comments here and never a notice.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
          X