Saxon Lt. uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saxon Lt. uniform

Here is my new pickup.Can anyone make out this name and any info about this officer?
    dan46
    Attached Files

IN PROVIDENTIAE MEMOR!

A very nice tunic on which I bid myself but did not win. So congratulations on a very nice addition!

Tunic is for an Oberleutnant of the 21st Uhlan Regiment (or 3rd Saxon Uhlan Regiment). The shoulder boards should have the number 21 on them but do not.

Name Leutnant der Reserve Nette.

There are 3 or 4 Nette's serving with various Saxon regiments but none are listed with UR21. That being said he might be the Nette listed with 3rd Saxon Hussar Regiment No 20 and who has the rank of Oberlt (retiring from the army as a Hauptmann). He may have been transferred as some point from the Hussars to the Uhlans or vice versa for whatever reason.

After having said that I checked the regimental history of UR21. There no Nette is mentioned having been an officer with UR21. There is however a Oberleutnant der Landwehr mentioned with the name Walter Netto. This seems to me the more likely candidate as no Nette is mentioned on the officers list of UR21.

Dan, if you ever want to sell the tunic please send me a pm. Cheers, Tom
    Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 06-08-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you Tom for all the great info.Does it say what year he was born?
      Dan46

Comment

Very nicely displayed. Wonderful

Can you post picture of the shoulder board and the ribbon in the button?

Comment

I’m wondering if that is a small case v (= von) before the last name? If so that will narrow the possibilities greatly.

Comment

The name is Nette and it would not show up in the regular yearly Ranklisten or in the Ehren-Rangliste, because he was a Reserve officer (most likely promoted to that rank during the war). I don't own any research materials regarding wartime officers of the Reserve, Landwehr or Landsturm, but there are those that have the capability to do the research. You might want to try the GMIC forum, where a few of these fellows occasionally visit. I'm speaking of Glenn Jewison, ARB (Andy) or Dave Danner.

Comment

My thanks to everyone on all the help.Enclosed are the pictures that were requested.
              Dan46
              Attached Files

Comment

I just have to get the correct visor cap for him.
                Dan46
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
                  The name is Nette and it would not show up in the regular yearly Ranklisten or in the Ehren-Rangliste, because he was a Reserve officer (most likely promoted to that rank during the war). I don't own any research materials regarding wartime officers of the Reserve, Landwehr or Landsturm, but there are those that have the capability to do the research. You might want to try the GMIC forum, where a few of these fellows occasionally visit. I'm speaking of Glenn Jewison, ARB (Andy) or Dave Danner.
                  Hi Chip, what you say is correct. However as an officer he should have been recorded in the regimental history. No Nette is listed there but Netto is.

Comment

I need to correct myself. From memory based on bidding on this tunic I attributed this tunic to the 3rd Saxon Uhlan Regiment which is incorrect. This tunic is for the 2nd Saxon Uhlan Regiment while missing its number 18 on the boards.

Checking the regimental history of UR18's list of Reserve Officers there is Lt. der Reserve Heinrich Mette (which may or may not be a typo) who became a Lt d. R. on 20 III 1911 and was promoted to Oberleutnant d. R. on 16 XI 1916. It furthermore details the information about him as listed below. What is particularly interesting is that it he did not serve with UR 18 during the war but with the Saxon Reserve Uhlan Regiment - which probably explains why there is no number 18 on his boards while he did wear the UR 18 uniform (he probably served as a one-year-volunteer with UR 18 in 1910/1911 before becoming a Lt d R).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 06-09-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Wonderful tunic and lovely shoulder boards. Are the collar tabs solid color or piped?

Comment

There are orange with red piping.Thank you for the nice comments on my outfit.
                        Dan46

Comment

Originally posted by Dan46 View Post
                          There are orange with red piping.Thank you for the nice comments on my outfit.
                          Dan46
                          Collar tabs colouring correspond to the boards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                          X